Website Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
$17.50 / Hour
Under supervision, responsible for protecting guests, employees and company assets by monitoring and patrolling the Santa Cruz Seaside Company facilities, anticipating potential incidents. Performs public relations duties and acts as an information source for guests.
Unique Job Requirements
Works rotating shifts 24 hour, 7 day a week operation. Officers must be at least 18 years of age and pass a suitability assessment prior to hire. Wears departmental approved shoes and company provided uniform, safety equipment including body armor, baton, pepper spray, handcuffs, flashlight and radio. All officers must be willing to fill any assignment based on needs and requirements. Must provide excellent guest service. Trainee level: Completes 120 hours: orientation, In Service Training, job shadowing and pass written verbal and performance tests, possess CPR, AED and First Aid certificate and obtains a guard card. Officer level: Must have completed training and serves as a seasonal solo security officer. Overtime required. Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
• Protect guests and company assets in a professional and friendly manner.
• Patrol and inspect assigned areas by foot, bicycle, vehicle or Segway checking for suspicious or unusual conditions.
• Recognize potential and existing problems and take rapid, calm and appropriate action.
• Pursue, apprehend, detain and arrest suspects, as directed.
• Perform public relations duties and act as an information source for guests; provide friendly and helpful guest service.
• Manage large crowds in a firm and friendly manner.
• Respond to calls from any area of the company.
• May be required to restrain, detain and arrest potentially violent persons.
• Provide first aid, CPR and use an AED as needed.
• Bring lost children to meeting points and reunite them with their legal guardians.
• Transport and protect cash and pick up, document and deliver cash.
• Conduct and complete incident investigation and other written reports.
• Assist and cooperate with local law enforcement agencies in difficult, potentially violent situations.
• Stand watch in observation and at Boardwalk entrances.
• Escort and protect company employees and guests and accompany them to vehicles or other locations as required.
• Operate a computer to complete records and complete comprehensive and accurate reports.
• Operate electronic access control and CCTV systems.
• Attend training and briefing sessions.
• May operate motor vehicles.
• May interview witnesses and victims of crime and search for physical evidence.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Crime prevention, preserve and report criminal behavior.
• Perform other duties as assigned to maintain the department and the company assets.
Note: these positions work 4/10 shifts, as assigned
Interacts with all levels of Santa Cruz Seaside Company employees.
Interacts with guests and representatives of law enforcement agencies.
Qualifications: Training and Experience
Minimum of 6 months experience working with the public for Security Officer Trainee. Some law enforcement knowledge desirable. Admin. of Justice classes helpful. Priority for Police Academy graduates. Hired at Security Officer level depending on experience and completion of requirements identified in distinguishing characteristics.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Some knowledge of the principals of human motivation and behavior.
• Ability to make quick, effective and calm decisions in emergencies and take appropriate actions, including
situations with potential violence.
• Ability to learn layout of the property in a short time.
• Ability to learn, understand and apply state and local laws and company standards, procedures and policies.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to handle strenuous physical activity including walking and standing and subdue extremely disruptive guests.
• Ability to work around large groups and to provide consistently friendly and helpful guest service.
• Ability to use positive public relations techniques and de-escalate potentially difficult situations.
• Ability to obtain and maintain certificates in CPR, AED and First Aid.
• Ability to pursue, subdue and control and /or physically restrain a suspect.
• Ability to learn and use radio communications equipment.
• Ability to work alone and/or unsupervised during hours of darkness, undesirable weather, high and low activity
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to meet requirements for use of Chemical Agent OC and baton.
• Ability to meet state requirements for Security Guard Registration.
• Ability to learn to operate a computer to prepare reports.
• Ability to investigate incidents and write clear, accurate, grammatically correct and detailed reports.
• Ability to interview, observe and remember facts and details of incidents.
• Ability to interact with the public in a friendly manner and maintain control in adverse situations.
• Able to walk up to 5 miles per day, to run and to stand for long periods of time.
• Able to lift and carry up to 55 pounds.
• Able to identify people by clothing color within the basic color range, 20/70 vision each eye correctable to 20/30 with corrective lenses or 20/200 correctable to 20/30 with contacts. Good peripheral vision.
• Bi-manual dexterity.
• Able to safely perform heavy strenuous work: running, bending, pushing, grabbing, lifting bags of coins, carrying, stacking restraining suspect, and assist in lifting injured person. Assist in physical restraint and subdue potentially violent situations.
• Able to hear normal conversations on the phone, radio and in person.
Licenses / Insurance
Possess and maintain a valid U.S.Driver’s license with DMV printout required. After hire must complete First Aid, AED and CPR certification. Officer Baton and Chemical Agent Certifications. Must meet current BSIS requirements for Security Guard Certification within 30 days of hire to obtain and maintain a State Security Guard License.
Testing Upon Offer or Hire
Eye exam (which includes a color perception test) and writing test. Must pass a pre-hire suitability assessment which includes extensive testing. Criminal background check. Proof of valid CA Drivers License/Clean DMV printout.