Website Clinica de Salud del Valle de Salinas
Provides patient care in the office setting. Provides care that meets the psychosocial, physical, and general aspects of care; meets the communication needs of patient and family; provides care that reflects initiative and responsibility indicative of professional expectations, under the supervision of a dentist. Maintains regulatory requirements, dental and office policies, procedures, and standards. Communicates with dentist and team members about patient’s clinical condition, including results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology.
Prepares and maintains dental instruments, equipment and manages supplies. Collects/records/charts patients health history, managing patients during dental procedures. In addition, provides clinical support to the dentist by preparing and transferring dental armamentarium, including dental materials, including composites, amalgam, cements, impression material, etc. Moreover, prevents and manages dental medical emergencies.
Other applicable duties, and requirements, for a Dental Assistant (DA), Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) and a Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions (RDAEF), under the general or direct supervision of a licensed dentist, can be found on: California Dental Practice Act, Chapter 4, Article 7 (Dental Assistants), Sections 1740-1777.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct patient care under the supervision of a dentist, evaluates outcomes, consults with other health team members as required.
- Ability to assist dental staff with routine examinations and patient treatments. This includes neonate, pediatric, adolescent, and geriatric patients, and the general patient population.
- Notifies appropriate licensed staff when patient complains of pain.
- Performs patient care responsibilities considering needs specific to the standard of care for patient’s age.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health/dental care errors.
- Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age-appropriate care to the patients served.
- Medical and surgical asepsis is carried out during treatments and special procedures.
- Ability to position and prep patients for dental office procedures.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to co-workers, Dentist, and Office Manager.
- Demonstrates the ability to assist dentist with procedures and perform services requiring technical and manual skills under the direction of a dentist.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity.
- Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic, and religious/spiritual needs of patients and family.
- Interacts professionally with patient and family and involves patient and family in patient education.
- Maintains infection prevention and control standards for exam/procedure rooms; cleans, disinfects, changes linen, etc.
- Maintains office instruments, knowledgeable of sterilization techniques and biological indicators for sterilization.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies.
- Maintains established office policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement program, safety, environmental and infection prevention, and control standards.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable, and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with office standards.
- Answers telephone calls in a professional manner, directs calls appropriately; refers patient problems to office dentist; schedules patient appointments.
- May performs basic bookkeeping and accounting responsibilities.
- Ensures an adequate stock of supplies.
- Assists in cost containment through appropriate ordering and conserving of supplies and equipment.
- Maintains a good working relationship with all staff members of the office.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Performs preventive maintenance.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Response to the patient is appropriate in emergency or physically distressful situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned within the dental assistant’s scope of practice.
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual educational requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Always maintains patient confidentiality.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends staff meetings as directed; reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (transcript is acceptable).
- Dental Assisting (DA or RDA) Certificate Successful completion of a Dental Assistant, Registered Dental Assistant (I & II) or Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions Program, as appropriate for the position, and all applicable/required California dental board examinations/licenses for practice. The dental assistant shall be responsible for ensuring that the dental assistant who has been in continuous employment for 120 days or more, has already successfully completed, or successfully completes, all the following within a year of the date of the employment:
- 8-Hour Infection Control Certificate.
- 2-Hour Dental Practice Certificate.
- Dental Radiology License.
- CPR BLS certification current and not expired.
Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Other languages preferred.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Knowledge of dental technology.
- Skills related to the position and as reflected on the California
- Dental Practice Act.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion, and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising patient care.
Please note that this job description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
- Resume (if available).
- Application/Candidate Profile.
- Complete interview with the Hiring Manager or Patient Services Manager (PSM).
- Immunization record (showing completion of MMR, HEP B, Flu, Covid-19 -2 doses with booster).
- PPD documentation within 1 year. (Individuals with a history of a positive PPD must provide a note for their provider indicating they are free of active disease, a blood test or chest x-ray with the last year.)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Clinica de Salud del Valle de Salinas (CSVS)
We are dedicated to providing quality, comprehensive healthcare to men, women, and children, with an emphasis on farm worker families and the agricultural community in the Salinas Valley.
Through our Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) outpatient clinics, CSVS continues to expand access to our medical and dental services by:
• Providing excellent care
• Addressing our patient’s needs
• Maintaining a sliding fee scale
• Establishing clinics and delivering services in areas with the most need
Therefore, with efficient resource management and aggressive efforts in seeking outside funding, CSVS is committed to maintaining financial stability so that our patients and employees can benefit from our success and focused on recruiting personnel who will promote and advocate the goals and philosophies of CSVS.
The CSVS Commitment: With our twelve CSVS clinics located throughout Monterey County, together with our CSVS mobile clinic, providing dental and medical care to targeted segments of the community, the commitment to our patients, our employees and the community will continue to be based on quality service and access to healthcare to all.
For more information on CSVS call the Human Resources Department at (831) 757-8689 or visit the CSVS website at www.csvs.org.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.