Website Valley Health Associates
Addiction treatment center
Valley Health Associates (VHA) is a non-profit organization offering intervention, prevention, and treatment services for those suffering from opioid and alcohol use disorders Established in 1992, VHA has been assisting and advocating for youth and adults in Monterey County. Come join our growing team!.
Schedule: This is a Non-Exempt, Full-Time position, averaging 32- 40 hours a week or
more as deemed necessary by Program Director and/or Executive Director.
Purpose: A Peer Specialist will work with both behavioral and primary care providers to
deliver services that are geared toward helping clients in the development of healthy life
choices. The Peer Specialist assists clients in the development of strengths-based
recovery goals and provides information on ways to maintain personal wellness and
recovery. The Peer Support Specialist works collaboratively with other members of the
care team to provide these services. The Peer Support Specialist promotes hope and
provides support as clients work toward the attainment of goals.
Principle Responsibilities: The following responsibilities represent the essential
functions of the position. (Some duties are assigned based on the time of day worked.)
● Conduct educational and/or support sessions as directed, using sound recovery
and resiliency principles.
● Provide education/support services as directed in individual or group settings.
● Provide evidence-based self-management training as directed for addressing
chronic conditions and strategies to promote health & wellness.
● Plan and lead educational, supportive, recreational, or social activities with
service recipients as appropriate to the specific program.
● Assist clients in developing recovery goals and formulating steps to attain those
● Acquire and utilize motivational interviewing skills in the provision of services.
● Identify barriers clients have in accessing health services and help clients develop
plans to overcome barriers.
● Help clients navigate the health care system.
● Assist with transportation to service recipients for program-related activities as
Maintain professional relationships with service recipients with other staff and
maintain appropriate interpersonal and ethical boundaries.
● Refer service recipients to the appropriate staff for issues that fall outside the
scope of peer services.
● Provide activities to service recipients in an educational, hopeful, and supportive
● Maintain safety in the program environment.
● Maintain timely service and program records as required by the State, County, and
● Attend regularly scheduled supervision meetings, and attend other meetings and
trainings as required by the State, County, and agency.
● Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
● Ability to communicate effectively and provide excellent customer service with
adults and families.
● Ability to successfully facilitate individual and group discussions.
● Ability to observe, evaluate, document, and communicate verbally and in writing.
● Knowledge of community resources.
● Ability to communicate and lead in a culturally competent and sensitive manner.
● High School diploma or equivalent.
● Must self-identify as a current or past consumer of SUD and/or mental health
services. (An SUD/mental health consumer is someone who has met at some
point in his/her adult life the following definition: an adult with a diagnosable
SUD, mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder of sufficient duration to meet
diagnosable criteria as specified within DSM-5 that has resulted in functional
impairment which has substantially interfered with or limited one or more major
● Strong interpersonal and engagement skills.
● Strong organizational and time management skills.
● Ability to support VHA’s mission and philosophy, and demonstrate sensitivity to
cultural diversity and workplace harmony.
● Self-directed and flexible to meet the needs of administration and management.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by
an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing
the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and/or stand for long
periods of time; use hands to manipulate objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and
arms, and talk and hear. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
To apply, please download and prepare the job application below and submit it with your resume with cover letter and all other pertinent materials by email (email@example.com) or fax (831-424-9717) for consideration for our open positions.