Website Soledad-Mission Recreation District
The primary responsibility of all Soledad-Mission Recreation District employees is to ensure safety and protect lives, and provide excellent service to our patrons. Swim instructors supervise and maintain safety in the pool area while teaching swim skills to patrons of all ages. Swim Instructors report to the Head Lifeguard, Aquatic Supervisor, Assistant Direct, and ultimately, the Executive Director.
Physical and Mental Characteristics
Physical, mental, and emotional stamina to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position; manual dexterity to sufficiently write, use the telephone, computer, business machines, push a broom and other manual pool cleaning tools as required. Vision to sufficiently detect and distinguish between different colors, read fine print on Material Safety Data Sheets and visual display terminals; Hearing to sufficiently conduct conversations occasionally over the noise from groups of people, in person and on the telephone, speaking ability with an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in a normal conversational distance, occasionally in crowds of people and for addressing groups; physical agility to swim, push/pull, squat, lean, jump, run for short distances, twist, tuck, bend, stoop, and reach overhead; Physical mobility to sufficient swim and walk about the work environment, rescue submerged victims and safely remove them from the pool, control a group of young children, walk on slippery and wet surfaces; physical strength to lift 40 lbs and carry it for 100 yards; physical stamina to sufficiently swim for several minutes, stand, walk and/or sit for prolonged periods of time, mental acuity to collect, interpret, and analyze data, reason and define problems, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Essential Functions of the Position
• Preventing injuries by being attentive and alert to students in classes, enforcing rules and/or regulations that govern the pool and being observed and using Red Cross communication procedures, and acting as a lifeguard for individual lessons.
• Conducting swimming classes in accordance with training provided by SMRD.
• Communicating effectively with other staff members, patrons, students, parents, and front desk.
• Maintaining up to date rosters, confirming that liability waivers are on file and students are enrolled in the correct level.
• Preparing lesson plans, session goals and skill certificates for each student and each class.
• Managing participants in a timely, kind, patient and enjoyable manner.
• Wears appropriate SMRD uniform while on duty.
• Reporting incident, accident and “near misses” on all proper forms and notifying immediate supervisor.
• Acting as a backup lifeguard in the event of an emergency.
• Performing appropriate rescues in the event of an emergency, providing appropriate care, and using resuscitation techniques if needed, within the boundaries of training, to program participants or observers while utilizing personal protective gear.
• Promoting goodwill and all District programming by being knowledgeable about all programs, suggesting programs to patrons in public, and word-of-mouth promoting within the community
• Addressing all questions, concerns, and suggestions from public courteously, and directing questions to appropriate staff members, if necessary.
• Participating in mandatory staff safety trainings and meetings.
• Maintaining a professional and courteous manner at all times, with participant groups, individuals, the professional safety team and all levels of recreation staff.
• Perform other duties assigned
Requirements, Certifications and Skills
• Must possess current CPR for the professional rescuer, lifeguard, and First Aid Certifications
• Must be at least 16 years old. If under 18, in possession of a valid work permit.
• Must be available to work night shifts.
• Must complete SMRD Swim Instructor Training or Water Safety Instructor Training.
• $15 – $17.00 / hour, maximum 40 hour week.
* Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Resume preferred for all supervisory roles