Website Salinas Public Library
All applicants must provide proof of education and a typing certificate valid within the last twelve months demonstrating a typing speed of 40 net words per minute at the time of application or submit to the Human Resources Department by the filing date. Due to the impacts of COVID-19, the City will accept typing certificates completed online. Applications are incomplete without the required document.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE:
Week of 06/21/2021 – Written examination for applicants meeting minimum qualifications
07/01/2021 – Department interviews
Summary of Duties: Under general supervision, performs routine circulation and clerical work in the Library and Community Services Department.
Supervision Received and Exercised: Receives general supervision from Senior Library Technician. May receive supervision from higher-level department staff. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs direct public services at the circulation desk
- Performs related duties using the library’s Integrated Library System (ILS)
- Registers patrons for library cards
- Checks-out, accepts, and checks-in returned books, pamphlets, periodicals, and other library materials; prepares returned library materials to go back to the circulation collection
- Answers phones; responds to patrons in person and telephone requests for library materials, reserves, renewals, services and information
- Resolves issues with problem items
- Computes and collects monies for reserves, overdue fines, lost materials, and other miscellaneous library materials; counts and balances revenue receipts; prepares for deposit
- Assists in receiving and processing books and other acquisitions for the library collection such as labels, covers and prepares books and pamphlets for shelving
- May repair books and other library materials
- Types book lists, records, orders forms, and other items
- Inventory and orders supplies as needed
- Searches shelves for specific books and periodicals
- Shelves materials and shelf- read as needed
- Takes circulation count
- Drives the delivery van and delivers and/or picks up materials from other libraries and other city locations as needed
- Drives the Bookmobile or Snappymobile as needed and performs circulation duties
- Assists with setting up and cleaning up for events and programs
- Performs opening and closing duties
- Promotes and maintains safety in the workplace
- Performs related duties as assigned
- Library terminology
- Dewey Decimal system
- Library filing rules and procedures
- Modern office methods, practices, and procedures
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Basic arithmetic
Microsoft Word and Internet searches
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Perform or learn library clerical tasks and become familiar with departmental procedures
- Learn to use Library Catalog ad the Integrated Library System(ILS)
- Use standard office and library equipment
- Spell correctly
- Make routine mathematical calculations
- Deal courteously and tactfully with the public
- Establish and maintain effective relationship with others
- Effectively organize workload
- Type at a speed of 40 words per minute
Education: High School diploma/GED
Experience: One year of general office assistance work experience; preferably including experience in public contact or library work
Licenses and Certifications: A valid State of California Driver’s License
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Physical, mental, and emotional stamina to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position; manual dexterity sufficient to write, use telephone, business machines and related equipment; vision sufficient to read printed materials and distinguish colors; hearing sufficient to conduct in person and telephone conversations; speaking ability in an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in a normal conversational distance, on the telephone and in addressing groups; physical agility to push/pull, squat, twist, turn, bend, stoop, climb and reach overhead; physical mobility sufficient to move about the work environment, physical strength to lift up to 25 lbs.; may occasionally lift up to 40 pounds of library materials; physical stamina sufficient to sit for prolonged periods of time; mental acuity to collect and interpret data, evaluate, reason, define problems, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, make valid judgments and decisions.
Business office working environment subject to standing at the public service counter for long periods of time, bending, crouching, or kneeling at files and shelving units; pushing/pulling of book carts and supplies; lifting and transferring books from bins to carts and to shelves; reaching in all directions and frequent periods of time working at a computer terminal.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
A veteran is defined in accordance with California Government Code 18540.4. In order to exercise this preference, the veteran must submit the City’s Veteran’s Preference Application and provide a copy of the DD-214 form at time of application as proof of military status. Failure to submit the required forms will be deemed a waiver of veteran’s preference. Military veterans shall be given preference in initial appointment to City service. Further details can be obtained from the Human Resources Department, at 831-758-7254.
Applicants’ qualifications will be evaluated based on the information provided on the employment application. The exam process may consist of an application appraisal, oral interview, and/or written exam. The City reserves the right to use alternate testing procedures if deemed necessary. CITY COMMUNICATION REGARDING THE SELECTION PROCESS WILL BE VIA E-MAIL. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE E-MAIL ON YOUR APPLICATION. Finalist interview/assessment will be held with the City of Salinas.
Please visit link for application: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/Salinas/jobs/3077337/library-clerk