Salinas Public Library
Salary: $4,264.00 – $5,441.00 Monthly
Location: Salinas Public Libraries, CA
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 23-00419
Department: Library & Community Services
Opening Date: 08/10/2023
Closing Date: 8/31/2023 5:00 PM Pacific
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: All applicants must provide proof of the required education and a typing certificate valid within the last twelve months demonstrating a typing speed of 50 net words per minute at the time of application or submit to the Human Resources Department by the closing date. The City will accept typing certificates completed online. Applicants with foreign degrees/transcripts must provide U.S. degree equivalency by submitting a credential evaluation report. Applications are incomplete without the required documents and will be disqualified. Applicants are responsible for ensuring all documents are received by the deadline.
The eligibility list established by this recruitment may be used to fill future Administrative Secretary vacancies city-wide
Summary of Duties: To perform a variety of highly responsible, confidential and complex clerical, secretarial and administrative duties and office management for a department/division.
Distinguishing Characteristics: This is the advanced journey level class in the secretarial series and is distinguished from the Secretary Class by the more complex, responsible and sensitive duties assumed related to functioning as the personal secretary and/or office manager to a department/division head.
Supervision Received and Exercised: Receives general supervision from a department/division head. May exercise general supervision of other clerical support positions.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs a wide variety of complex, responsible, and confidential office management duties for a department head
- Screens calls, visitors and mail
- Interprets City policies, rules and regulations and responds to inquiries and refers inquires as appropriate
- Represents the department head’s mission, values and standards for an effective organization
- Independently responds to letters and general correspondence of a routine nature
- Makes travel arrangements, maintains appointment schedules and calendars, and arranges meetings and conferences
- Takes and transcribes oral dictation from shorthand notes or transcribing machine recordings; operates office equipment
- Types a variety of materials, including general correspondence and memoranda
- Participates and assists in the administration of a department; prepares comprehensive reports, compiles annual budget requests, and recommends expenditure requests for designated accounts; maintains/supervises maintenance of related departmental accounting documents and reports
- Answers telephone and serves the public and staff in a courteous and professional manner
- Researches, compiles and analyzes data; prepares special projects and various reports
- Initiates and maintains a variety of files and records
- Serves as Secretary to a Board or Commission, preparing the agenda, assembling background materials, taking and transcribing minutes of the meeting, and performing related support services
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates support personnel
- Recommends organization or procedural changes affecting support activities
- Promotes and maintains safety in the workplace
- Performs related duties as assigned
- Principles of office management, organization, and employee development
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Modern office methods, procedures and equipment
- Business letter writing
- Organization, procedures and operating details of the City department to which assigned
- City government organization, functions, policies, rules and regulations
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation
- Understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities
- Promote the mission, values and standards of an effective organization
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Compose general correspondence and letters
- Work cooperatively with other departments, City officials, and outside agencies
- Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies, laws, and rules
- Assist in the preparation and administration of the Annual Budget for the Department or work unit
- Operate and use modern office equipment
- Work independently in the absence of supervision and work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Analyze situations carefully and adopt effective courses of action
- Plan, organize and schedule priorities in the office
- Compile and maintain complex and extensive records and prepare reports
- Maintain confidential data and information
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City and the general public
- Supervise, train and evaluate subordinates
- Type at a speed of 50 words per minute
- Take and transcribe dictation from rough draft, shorthand notes, or transcribing machine recordings
Education: High School diploma/GED
Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible experience in secretarial and office support work.
Licenses and Certifications: A valid State of California Driver’s License.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: Physical, mental and emotional stamina to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position; manual dexterity sufficient to write, use telephone, computer, business machines and related equipment; vision sufficient to read printed materials, visual display terminals; hearing sufficient to conduct in person and telephone conversations; speaking ability in an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in a normal conversational distance, on the telephone and in addressing groups; physical agility to push/pull, squat, twist, turn, bend, stoop and reach overhead; physical mobility sufficient to move about the work environment, physical strength to lift up to 20 lbs.; physical stamina sufficient to sit for prolonged periods of time; mental acuity to collect and interpret data, evaluate, reason, define problems, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, make valid judgments and decisions.
Business office working environment subject to sitting at a desk or standing at a counter for long periods of time, bending, crouching, or kneeling at files, pushing/pulling of file drawers and supplies, reaching in all directions and prolonged periods of time working at a computer terminal.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
For questions, please contact Patricia Peñaloza, Senior Human Resources Analyst, at (831) 758-7416 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Link to apply: linktr.ee/cityofsalinas