Resource Conservation District of Monterey County
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: First-round interview applications due Sep 15, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Irrigation Specialist/Engineer (Bilingual)
This position works in close partnership with the RCDMC Agroecology (Ag) Team (including the Soil Scientist, Ag Technical Specialist, and Licensed Civil Engineer) as well as local organizational and agricultural partners to implement on-farm irrigation system design and management evaluations, water flow assessment, erosion control and water quality improvement projects in and around Monterey County. Candidates must have knowledge of irrigation systems, soil science, water quality and watershed function, agricultural production, and regional agricultural and land management issues. This position will organize and give educational and professional presentations.
• Provide in-field technical assistance and trainings for farmers and farm workers in Spanish and English regarding soil and water management (one-on-one and in groups)
• Complete irrigation system analysis calculations and designs
• Collaborate with area farmers and partner organizations for soil, water and nutrient management project development
• Project reporting and budget management
Collaborative Tasks with Ag Team:
• Installation of water measurement equipment, including flow meters, pressure gauges, and flumes
• Irrigation evaluation using standard professional methods
• Communication with growers regarding irrigation management and scheduling
• Collection, maintenance, and handling of water and soil samples and sampling equipment
• Data collection, analysis, interpretation, and communication of results with farmers and others
• Knowledge of and interest in agricultural water use efficiency and surface and groundwater management issues in the Central Coast region
• Understanding of California agricultural systems and hydrology, including crops, irrigation systems and design, and resource concerns; training in agricultural/environmental science or engineering.
• Relevant degrees may include Agricultural/Civil/Environmental Engineering, Water Resource Management, Agronomy, or Hydrology; must also have field experience
• Field Spanish-fluency
• Good writing, presentation, and ‘people’ skills
• Excellent computer skills (for MS Excel, Word, internet applications and learning proprietary software)
• Able to hop ditches, carry equipment, and work outdoors for extended periods
• Valid CA driver’s license, clean driving record
Pay will be commensurate with skills and experience and will start at $30-37/hr, with full benefits including health, dental and vision plans, a 457b retirement savings program with employer contribution, and an annual cost of living adjustment. Professional team of co-workers in strong collaborative office environment with a highly-regarded organization dedicated to supporting local landowners’ voluntary conservation efforts.
The RCD is a non-regulatory local agency governed by a publicly appointed Board of Directors and run by a staff of 15 highly-skilled, professional employees. Our grant and contract-funded programs offer unique and dynamic opportunities to conserve our local ecology while maintaining the viability of productive agriculture and public safety. We take pride in being able to work collaboratively with people and agencies of all stripes to accomplish shared goals of maintaining Monterey County’s natural bounty and quality of life. We strive to maintain a work environment consistent with that approach: science-based, professional, and personally-fulfilling. District conservation efforts occur primarily on rural farm, ranch and forest lands, but also in urban garden and food-production settings. They include farm water quality management and conservation, vegetation mapping and management, forest health & fire resilience, soi health & erosion control, and fish and wildlife habitat improvements. For more information, please see the RCD website: www.rcdmonterey.org.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to Audrey Garcia at email@example.com