Website Orion Telescopes & Binoculars
$18 an hour
Number of hires for this role
2 to 4
Full Job Description
TECHNICAL SUPPRT REPRESENTATIVE I
Part-Time – (20 – 25 Hours/Week including weekends)
Job Objective: (Purpose for the position)
To assist customers and CSRs with technical information and support on Orion products and other products that Orion sells. To provide technical training for all Customer Service Department staff members.
Essential Job Functions: (Functions essential to attaining job objectives)
1. Assist customers, within established guidelines to resolve issues and answer questions related to purchased items. This includes, but is not limited to, providing support in resolving warranty and non-warranty product issues, sending replacement parts, product assembly and usage, software installation and support of camera or other component drivers and software. Offer advanced pre-sales support for customers considering a purchase or comparing Orion with other brands and product lines. Requires a cursory knowledge of competing brands.
2. Develop and conduct technical meetings and training sessions to enhance the Department’s technical knowledge. This includes nighttime training sessions demonstrating the use and features of various products in real-world observing conditions. Also develop and conduct training sessions for weekly Department meetings.
3. Identify and properly communicate product issues such as, but not limited to, customer concerns related to instruction manuals, catalog and web copy discrepancies or other product issues to other departments.
4. Provide continuous department product training for all CSRs.
5. Enter and maintain journals related to customer concerns and corrective action. Keep
customer journals current and up to date, resolving journal entries within designated time frame.
6. Stay current with the latest developments in the astronomy field and related products.
7. Answer phones, support emails and respond to chats within designated time frames.
8. Perform within Department standards to meet TSR I goals.
9. Submit tech notes for the Orion web-site for common Customer technical issues.
Critical Skills/Expertise: (Needed specifically for this job)
1. PC literacy – Should have a working knowledge of current Windows operating systems and be familiar with hardware settings and driver installation/troubleshooting. Need to be able to operate and describe Orion’s software and be able to understand and explain software and hardware install and uninstall processes.
2. In-depth product knowledge – Must be able to understand and describe the individual component parts of Orion product. Includes, but not limited to describing out of the box assembly and troubleshooting.
3. Hands-on observational astronomy experience (intermediate level minimum; advanced preferred)
4. Hands-on imaging astronomy experience (intermediate level or better)
Job Standards: (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential job functions)
Communicate verbally in a clear, pleasant tone and manner
Ability to read and write English
Complete all departmental forms accurately and neatly
Accurately enter data into the computer system
Learn and apply training materials in an effective manner
Communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, managers, and customers
Clearly document and resolve customer contacts in the journal system
Communicate clearly, efficiently and professionally via e-mails, journals, and order memos.
Accurately identify replacement parts to resolve warranty related issues.
Required Knowledge of Equipment: (Machines, devices, software, tools used in job)
Multi-line Phone System
Windows based PC (MAC experience a plus)
Software Applications such as MS Outlook, MS Excel, Slack, Chat, Desk.com, etc.
Non-Essential Functions: (Marginal tasks performed by incumbent of this position)
Others tasks as assigned to accomplish the goals of the department and company.
Job Location: (Place where work is performed)
89 Hangar Way, Watsonville, CA 95076, or
Remote location – California based
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $18.00 per hour
Paid time off
Monday to Friday
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Only full-time employees eligible
Remote interview process
Personal protective equipment provided or required
Social distancing guidelines in place
Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place