Supervisor, Facility Systems (Life Support) Nights
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
Responsible for the supervision of daily operations, troubleshooting, and maintenance of Monterey Bay Aquarium’s 25 million gallons per day seawater system, HVAC system, and mechanical plant; supervises Systems Operators; provides staff training, scheduling, oversight of projects, development of protocols and procedures, staff development and reviews; responsible for staff safety; performs other duties as required.
- Supervise System Operators; conduct regular one-on-one meetings and annual performance evaluations; conduct candidate interviews and participate in hiring processes.
- Supervise daily operations, repair, troubleshooting, and preventative maintenance of the Aquarium life support, seawater system, HVAC system, and mechanical plant.
- Oversee non-routine projects, new equipment installation, and equipment upgrades, both with internal staff and contractors.
- Takes personal responsibility for the completion of projects, including performing or participating in the work.
- Develop and communicate safety and technical training procedures and associated documentation; develop and enforce procedural standards; develop and coordinate the emergency equipment casualty drill program.
- Oversee development and updating of Standard Operating Procedures and the preventative maintenance program and database, including maintaining documentation, Archibus, records, and providing training.
- Train new hires and mentor Senior Operators in continued staff training and development for Operators I and II.
- Create and coordinate the Control Room staff schedule
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field OR equivalent experience in a water treatment plant or aquarium life support
8-10 year’s experience in aquarium life support, or equivalent mechanical or water treatment plant
- Four years experience in a senior or supervisory level position in an aquarium facility, water treatment plant, or equivalent mechanical plant
- Advanced understanding of stationary engineering standards, practices, and procedures
- Advanced understanding of mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration as it applies to aquarium systems.
- Mastery of three-phase 480V electrical systems and components
- Advanced proficiency in operating and working with HVAC systems
- Advanced understanding of the chemical and nutrient components and processes of seawater, including pH, alkalinity, and the nitrogen cycle
- Ability to analyze data quickly and translate data into operational decisions.
- At least three specialized certifications from the following list: Grade 2 Water (treatment or distribution) licensing, Energy Management Certification, Desalination training, FactoryTalk training, RS Logix training, Hazardous Materials Response training, Commercial Refrigeration License, Industrial Electricity training, HVAC Pneumatics training, Commercial Water Truck Operator certification
- Ability to work within, and maintain Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Core Values
- Demonstrated commitment to Monterey Bay Aquarium’s
- Leadership Competencies
- Water Treatment Plant Operator certification
- Master’s degree in engineering, controls automation, or related field
- Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams, manage contractors, and mentor staff.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and train staff in technical subjects
- Completion of a management training course or program (in-house or external)
- Completion of a project management training program
Physical Requirements to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Truck with liftgate, hoists, pulleys, lifts, building machinery, hand and shop tools
- Walking up to several miles, climbing ladders, climbing machinery, accessing roofs, reaching, pushing, pulling
50 lbs. Chemical bags, motors, filter-sand bags, equipment
- Main aquarium, basement, mechanical rooms, service areas, outdoors, pumphouse, confined spaces, roof