Seafood Watch Outreach Manager
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
This role can support remote, hybrid or onsite work types, as well as flexible scheduling.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is seeking a Seafood Watch Outreach Program Manager, which would develop and manage a comprehensive outreach strategy to reach a diversity of audiences for the globally recognized Seafood Watch program. This includes deployment of multiple strategies to promote the Seafood Watch program’s science-based information and messaging among its target audiences. The Outreach Manager is also responsible for maintaining the program’s network of engaged conservation partners and influencers. The position works collaboratively with a number of internal and external parties and is able to incorporate new and dynamic information.
The mission of Monterey Bay Aquarium is to inspire conservation of the oceans. Our Seafood Watch program creates a US market demand for sustainable seafood to incentivize businesses, industry, and governments to improve the environmental and social responsibility of global fisheries and aquaculture. The program’s science-based products provide public and private audiences with information and tools to support those improvements.
- Develop a comprehensive outreach strategy; update the strategy to reflect audience needs and trends.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to ensure implementation of the outreach strategies.
- Manage production and deployment of program assets including, but not limited to, the Seafood Watch consumer pocket guide, science-based program papers and reports, and monthly updates to conservation and business partners.
- Manage dynamic and accurate program content on seafoodwatch.org and affiliated websites.
- Facilitate proper and consistent use of intellectual property.
- Facilitate timely responses to program/media inquiries and act as spokesperson as needed.
- Supervise a team of volunteers, interns, and affiliated aquarium staff.
- Contribute to program and budget planning and reporting.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced degree in marketing and/or communications, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- At least five years’ experience in developing and implementing multifaceted outreach strategies for issue-based campaigns or programs
- Demonstrated experience working cross functionally, and among a diversity of stakeholders (Executive, public, government, NGOs, etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills on complex, science-based topics
- Ability to review and curate content
- Superlative project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in common technological platforms including Customer
- Relationship Management systems, Microsoft Office, and the Google suite
- Advanced knowledge of social media platforms and a demonstrated ability to exercise social care
- Experience with leveraging market research to inform decision-making and adaptive management
- Experience in managing and building a network of organizations in support of a common goal
- Ability to travel domestic/international
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within the first 3 months of employment, a valid California driver’s license in order to operate Monterey Bay Aquarium vehicles