Sea Otter Aquarist II
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices, working together, increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
The Sea Otter Aquarist II plays an integral role in supporting the institution’s mission of inspiring conservation of the oceans by helping with the care of our mammal collection as well as engaging our visitors. They will be part of the mammal team that is responsible for the care of all elements of the mammal programs within the Husbandry Operations department. Duties include all aspects of mammal husbandry, including holding areas and exhibits, animal moves and transports, diet preparation, medical treatments, record keeping and public presentations.
- Responsible for a high level of marine mammal care including: diet preparation, feeding, physical restraint, medical procedures, operant conditioning and enrichment of all exhibit sea otters.
- Performs these functions without direct supervision.
- Acts as a resource to Sea Otter Aquarists, interns and volunteers.
- Under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian, administer veterinary care and maintain all associated husbandry and medical record keeping.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all exhibit and holding areas.
- Works closely with the SORAC (Sea Otter Research and Conservation Program) in both animal management and facility resources.
- When needed, work with Husbandry aquarists/aviculturists to develop or maintain behavioral conditioning with non-mammal species.
- Interface with Interpretive and Visitor programs staff as well as the public in order to provide an outstanding visitor experience.
- Public speaking is required for both larger and smaller audiences.
- Work with Facilities and Control departments for optimal exhibit maintenance.
- Interface with Public Relations or any other MBA department to disseminate accurate sea otter exhibit program information.
- Responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of the sea otter exhibit including in-tank siphoning/cleaning using SCUBA or other appropriate modalities.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- Bachelor degree in a Biological Science or Animal Behavior preferred – or equivalent experience.
- Minimum two years of experience as a “Sea Otter Aquarist I” level in a public aquarium, zoo, or animal care field.
- Strong knowledge and use of operant conditioning techniques.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to obtain a valid California driver’s license and maintain clearance in the DMV Pull Program.
- SCUBA certification highly desired.
- Ability to pass an occupational/scientific dive physical examination (if applicable).
- Previous experience with marine or terrestrial animals in an aquarium or zoological facility.
- PC experience: MS Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint
Familiarity with electronic animal record keeping software systems (i.e. TRACKS, ZIMS, etc.)
- Knowledge of flora and fauna of the California central coast
- Participate in other aquarium special projects, work groups and committees as required
- OWCN first responder (Oiled Wildlife Care Network)