Building Services Manager
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity. We firmly believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together increases our capacity to serve our visitors and fulfill our mission. We welcome people from all walks of life into our team and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.
Job Summary: Under limited supervision, responsible for Maintenance, Repair, Landscaping, and Custodial (‘Services’) of Aquarium General Administrative (‘GA’) properties, buildings, equipment, and systems. Develop, maintain, and manage budgets, schedules, scopes of work, requests for qualification (RFQ) and request for proposal (RFP), contracts, purchase orders, and project plans. Select, manage, and evaluate vendors in the performance of all Services. Review, respond to and act upon proposals, quotes, invoices, work requests, and similar. Partner with management to identify, prioritize, and plan Services and provide expert advice on related long-term real estate development objectives. Develop and implement business processes to improve data-driven decisions and management efficiency. Manage modifications to enhance building safety, meet or exceed code, and provide preventative maintenance measures. Ensure as-built conditions and permit documents are maintained and archived. Support sustainability goals, development of standard specifications, space utilization assessment, and post-occupancy success. Perform other duties as required.
- Evaluate all GA properties on a regular basis to determine current condition and required service for proactive building care, including safety, sustainability, and preventative maintenance.
- Ensure modifications and upgrades are properly and completely permitted whenever necessary, meet or exceed code requirements including accessibility guidelines, are fully documented upon completion, and meet MBA materials and systems standards.
- Manage recurring service plans for custodial and landscape needs for all GA properties, ensuring the performance of vendors consistently meets project expectations and on-site requirements.
- Respond to day-to-day work requests from building occupants, providing prompt information on planned action, following through to resolution.
- Develop work plans for all three types of external service (e.g., recurring, preventative, on-call), including annual budget requests, specific work schedules, relevant processes and procedures, and contract documents for Services.
- Improve and maintain all related administrative processes, including but not limited to work requests, inventory management, procurement, and invoice review and approval, utilizing applications such as Adaptive Insights, Archibus, Concur Expense, DocuSign, Google Drive, Robin Powered, Sage Intacct, and Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Contract with vendors for recurring service (e.g., custodial, landscape, etc.), preventative maintenance (e.g., HVAC filter changes, gutter cleaning, etc.), and on-call repair needs (e.g., electrical, plumbing, roofing, etc.). Identify viable vendors, determine scopes of work and schedules, obtain competitive bids or negotiate pricing, select and contract with successful vendors.
- Oversee contractor site access and responsiveness to on-site requirements, and assess performance, providing appropriate feedback. Ensure focus on regulatory and code compliance, industry best practices, sustainability, and social justice throughout vendor relationships.
- Provide leadership by sharing construction industry best practices, including collaboration and communication; developing automated processes; building efficient cross-functional teams; providing expert insight on cost estimating for forecasts and budgeting; and supporting continuous improvement ideals in all aspects of work.
- Respond to emergencies at GA properties to assess, stabilize, and mitigate as necessary with follow-up to provide long-term repair/ replacement services via vendor contracts.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- BA or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Expertise with multi-disciplinary building materials and systems (e.g., HVAC, plumbing, roofing, power, lighting, etc.) to administer, guide, and assess the success of contracts supporting critical facility operations
- Familiar with custodial, landscape, and general maintenance services and recurring processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of all major construction trades and current industry best practices, including those for collaboration, communication, and as-built documentation
- Understanding of current building code including accessibility guidelines; awareness of the variety of applicable Authorities Having Jurisdiction (‘AHJ’) and ability to prepare, issue, and manage permit documents as required
- Flexibility to plan and manage multiple projects of varying size and complexity concurrently, with project team sizes ranging from multi-disciplinary internal/ external groups to independent, focused work, ensuring consistent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of professionals of various ages, abilities, and backgrounds in cross-functional teams, and delegate tasks internally or externally as needed
- Effective verbal and written communication to meet project goals while maintaining a positive work environment and developing vendor relationships
- Experience with character, quality, and cost of building materials, including interior finishes to meet sustainability and efficiency goals and provide general cost estimating to forecast, prepare, allocate, and manage inventory and budget.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe software with an ability to use cloud-based management tools for work requests, preventative maintenance and inventory, and contracting and scheduling
- Adherence to procurement and vendor management policies and processes
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and maintain clearance in the DMV Pull Program
- Comfortable with managing multi-million budgets and project oversight
- This position works predominantly on-site with the potential for ‘on call’/ after-hours work as needed to address emergencies.
- Ability to work within and maintain MBA Core Values and commitment to MBA’s Leadership Competencies and champion MBA Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) policies
Physical Requirements to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Typical office equipment.
- Must be able to operate various light-duty automobiles, forklifts, hand truck, pallet jack and other typical material handling equipment, laptop computer, display, docking station, printer, scanner
- Constant sitting, standing, walking, bending
- Occasional unassisted lifting to 50 lbs.
- All Aquarium buildings, typical office environment, main aquarium and exhibits, occasional offsite events, warehouse, and exterior grounds