Website Mee Memorial Hospital
Healthcare with Heart
This is a temporary position that may last a few weeks to several months
Shows genuine warmth with patients and has the ability to make them feel comfortable in the clinic while providing assistance to clinical providers. The direct bridge between the patients and the primary care providers. Performs other duties as assigned.
Acts as a team player and medical support person.
- Completes tasks after completing demonstrated competencies, as outlined in approved policy and procedure; follows guidelines as established through standardized procedures.
- Promotes an efficient patient flow.
- Assists front office with patients and is familiar with clinic resources and calls upon managers and other appropriate team members when faced with escalating issues.
- Manages orderly flow of data, gathers and records data accurately and according to standards and show initiative to get all information required.
- Records information related by patient relative to present family and social history, past medical history, history of present illness, and current chief complaint.
- Gathers data for the medical record.
- Ensures completion of documentation required by policy and procedure, as well as documentation required by programs and/or payors relative to visit type or patient’s prior medical history.
- Lists current medications (Rx, OTC’s herbal remedies) including strength, dosage, frequency, and form into the medical record in support of provider medication reconciliation
- Patient allergies (medication, food, environmental) documented.
- Gathers or rechecks essential data at each visit in accordance with current policy and procedure, standardized procedure and approved medical record templates.
- Maintains charts by adding dividers if not present, thins the charts as needed, files all results after provider has seen and signed them.
- Accurately obtains and documents vital signs (height/length, weight, BMI, blood pressure, temperature, pulse, respiration, pain, head circumference when indicated for infants) and growth charts.
Practices good communications skills
- Information is given to provider or person responsible in an orderly and timely manner (date, time, name, information regarding the situation) if necessary pulls chart of patient involved.
- Keeps patient informed of what is going on throughout their stay.
- Demonstrates a cooperative and positive attitude when assisting patients.
- Documents all interaction with patients including face-to-face and telephone conversations.
Cleans and restocks rooms after each patient has left.
- Stocks exam rooms daily to ensure that supplies and equipment are in place for required exams.
- Maintains exam rooms, nurse’s station and minor surgery as to sufficient equipment, supplies and cleanliness.
- Ensures compliance with current infection control standards regarding cleaning/sanitizing of room, equipment, supplies used in the care and treatment of patients.
- Surgical equipment that is used is pre-washed, and then taken to central supply for sterilization in approved hard-side containers.
- Reports any malfunctions in equipment to appropriate person
Laboratory testing and specimen collection:
- Prepares specimens to be sent to lab per current approved policy, including but not limited to complete signed lab slip with accurate demographics and two patient identifiers, labeled specimens in appropriate transportation container.
- Under written orders and/or standardized procedures, performs point-of-care tests according to approved laboratory procedures, accurately recording results in the medical record.
- Labels are legible, accurate on specimens and include at least two patient identifiers.
Assists LVN Supervisor, Clinic Manager or Providers when necessary in:
- Maintaining inventory of medications and supplies
- Arranging referrals for patients to consultants
- Administering certain medications and injections under the supervision of a Provider
- Preparing vaccines log and monthly report and other logs as needed
- Ensures results and reports are brought to the attention of the provider with abnormal results prioritized
- Assisting with eligibility, case management, health education utilizing resources approved by medical staff,
- Assisting with nursing assignments.
- Mentors medical assistant externs and/or new hire medical assistants during their introductory period.
- Other duties as assigned.
Completion of certified MA program and a passing score of at least 80% on a Mee Memorial Clinic Medical Dose Calculation Pre-placement test.
Knowledge of Medical Terminology. Ability to write legibly, spell correctly and perform basic mathematics.
Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers
Must be able to sit and stand/walk for 12 hours per day. Must be able to bend, push/pull and lift up to 50 pounds.
Ability to work with others and to perform a variety of assigned duties. Able to build quickly and maintain rapport with patients, other team members, providers, and others in the community.
Will be dealing with patients of all ages to include; children/pediatrics, adolescents, adults and elderly/geriatrics.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees