Website Mee Memorial Hospital
Healthcare with Heart
This is a temp full time position that may last a few weeks to several months
Performs a variety of specialized clerical duties relating to the pre-admitting and admitting of patients from the Emergency and Outpatient departments, as well as direct Hospital admits.
1) Interviews patients or his/her representative and obtains complete, accurate, personal, demographic and financial information necessary for admission.
- Ensures that all data areas on admit form are complete and accurate; spelling is correct.
- Is always courteous to clients, in accordance with hospital guest relations program; helpful in explaining procedures and administrative policies.
- Notifies nursing unit of patient ready to admit.
2) Verifies insurance coverage.
- Always verifies insurance information: private, Medi-Care or Medi-Cal.
- Obtains prior insurance authorizations within specified time frame.
- Photocopies insurance cards consistently; obtains signatures at admission.
- Prepares necessary forms for Medical Records and Patient Accounting.
3) May attend to administrative needs of patient/family: (explains charges, alternatives for payment of bill).
- Always responds with sensitivity to patients and family in matters related to money and personal areas.
- Is able to give basic information in response to most questions regarding patient bills/insurance.
- Consistently able to acquire insurance information and reviews with patient to ensure accuracy.
- Consistently/accurately files all material during assigned shift.
4) Performs cashier function as necessary.
- Always follows established Hospital policy for handling cash and collecting money.
- Balances cash box at end of shift.
- Accepts credit cards, using appropriate forms; follows up.
5) Prepares batching for Data Processing.
- Accurately prepares batching for Data Processing in a timely manner.
- Ability to utilize IT systems in an efficient and effective manner
- Ability to process Advance Beneficiary Notices.
- Ability to use computer system to verify accounts for return mail.
6) Operates Hospital telephone switchboard.
- Always answers telephone in a courteous manner.
- Always identifies self and uses correct English and/or Spanish when communicating.
- Always pages in a clear, well-modulated voice to ensure understanding.
- Demonstrates efficient, proper use of radio and paging system.
- Does not use switchboard for personal calls.
- Responsible for all emergency code calls; responds with expediency and efficiency.
7) Performs other job related duties as assigned.
- Responds to necessary changes in work schedule; uses work time to department advantage by doing various tasks, such as stocking, ordering supplies or special projects.
High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Must be able to type 40 wpm.
- Knowledge of office organization and basic clerical skills
- Back-ground and experience with computer terminal and medical terminology preferred.
- Desire basic knowledge of insurance billing.
Bilingual (English/ Spanish) required
- Must be able to sit up to 6 hours and stand/walk up to 2 hours per day.
- Must be able to lift and push between 10 and 50 pounds.
- Must be able to use hands and feet repetitively for 8 hours or more.
- Willing to perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to work with others and to perform a variety of assigned tasks.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.