Website Mee Memorial Hospital
Healthcare with Heart
Performs a wide variety of medical assistant duties to support the Employee Health and Occupational Medicine Clinic (EHOMC) as well as clerical and/or receptionist duties relating to employee/patient registration and insurance verification for the EHOMC. Responsible for appointment scheduling, answering phones and taking messages, data entry, completion/verification of patient registration, collection of payments, and credit card processing. Performs other duties as assigned.
PERFORMANCE DIMENSIONS AND TASKS:
Medical Assistant Duties:
- Manages orderly flow of data, gathers and records data accurately and according to standards and show initiative to get all information required.
- Timely and accurately collects and records information for appropriate form and the medical record.
- Ensures completion of documentation required by policy and procedure, as well as documentation required by programs and/or payors relative to the visit type or employee’s/patient’s prior medical history.
- Lists current medications (Rx, OTC’s herbal remedies) including strength, dosage, frequency, and form into the medical record in support of provider medication reconciliation, if applicable.
- Gathers or rechecks essential data at each visit in accordance with current policy and procedure, standardized procedure and approved medical record templates.
- Accurately obtains and documents vital signs (height/length, weight, BMI, blood pressure, temperature, pulse, respiration, pain, head circumference when indicated for infants) and growth charts, and all pertinent assessments as directed.
- Cleans and restocks rooms after each patient has left, and on-going as necessary.
- Ensures compliance with current infection control standards regarding cleaning/sanitizing of room, equipment, supplies used in the care and treatment of patients. Equipment:
- Surgical equipment that is used is pre-washed, and then taken to central supply for sterilization in approved hard-side containers.
- Reports any malfunctions in equipment to appropriate person.
- Laboratory testing and specimen collection:
- Prepares specimens to be sent to lab per current approved policy, including but not limited to complete signed lab slip with accurate demographics and two patient identifiers, labeled specimens in appropriate transportation container.
- Under written orders and/or standardized procedures, performs point-of-care tests according to approved laboratory procedures, accurately recording results in the medical record.
- Labels are legible, accurate on specimens and include at least two patient identifiers.
- Assists the Physician Assistant when necessary in:
- Maintaining inventory of medications and supplies
- Arranging referrals for patients to consultants
- Administering certain medications and injections under the supervision of a Provider
- Preparing vaccines log and monthly report and other logs as needed
- Ensures results and reports are brought to the attention of the provider with abnormal results prioritized
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Completion of certified MA program and a passing score of at least 80% on a Mee Memorial Clinic Medical Dose Calculation Pre-placement test.
Skill Requirements: Knowledge of Medical Terminology. Ability to write legibly, spell correctly and perform basic mathematics.
Licensing Requirements: Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers
Language Requirements: Bilingual (English/Spanish) – Required
Physical Demands: Must be able to sit and stand/walk for 12 hours per day. Must be able to bend, push/pull and lift up to 50 pounds.
Special Demands: Ability to work with others and to perform a variety of assigned duties. Able to build quickly and maintain rapport with patients, other team members, providers, and others in the community.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.