Website Mee Memorial Hospital
Healthcare with Heart
Performs patient care activities and related non-professional services necessary in caring for the personal needs and comfort of patients; assists in maintenance of safe and clean environment. He/she will individualize patient care based upon the age appropriate and developmental needs. Should be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his/her unit.
1) Assists in preparation of nursing unit, patients’ rooms and beds.
- Prepares nursing unit to receive patients using established department procedure.
- Checks patient room to ensure that all supplies and equipment required for admission are present.
2) Assists in and may accompany patient in the admission, transfer and discharge procedure.
- Assists patients in the admission, transfer and discharge procedure as assigned following established department procedure.
- Uses proper techniques of body mechanics to protect patient and self.
- Provides for patient’s safety by using appropriate preventative safety measures, i.e., side rails, restraints, patient education.
- Performs and documents patient admission and discharge data correctly and accurately as assigned.
3) Provides direct personal care, general nursing care and routine treatment for a group of patients.
- Demonstrates competence in providing morning, evening and general care according to established department procedures.
- Demonstrates awareness of patient’s comfort and safety when performing any personal care activities.
- Demonstrates competence in performing treatment procedures such as enemas, application of heat/cold, sitz baths and skin care.
- Demonstrates awareness of patient safety, comfort and privacy when performing any treatment.
- Records/reports to RN on duty any treatment results, observations, patient complaints, variations from normal and other pertinent information regarding the condition of patients.
- Demonstrates ability to perform general nursing care for patients following established procedures, i.e. positioning patients, lifting and turning patients, applying and utilizing special equipment, assisting in use of bedpan, urinal or commode.
- Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, height, weight, intake/output and other measurements as applicable in an accurate and precise manner.
- Records pertinent patient care activity information on appropriate flow sheets in an accurate/timely manner; signs name to these records.
- Distributes water and other nourishments according to patient needs.
- Demonstrates competence in performing various patient care activities for the patient in isolation according to Infection Control policies. Uses Standard Precautions.
- Demonstrates competence in prescribed hand-washing and aseptic techniques.
- Answers any patient call light. Personally assists patient with requests or reports request to appropriate personnel.
- Anticipates needs of patients and checks on assigned patients in a consistent manner (at least once and hour)
- Demonstrates a cooperative and positive attitude when assisting patients.
- Ensures that patient call light is within patient’s reach and available for use.
4) Assists with the disposition of patient’s clothing and personnel property, i.e., prosthetic
5) Devices, glasses, etc., secures items in accordance with established department policy.
- Records all required information on appropriate form and provides for safe care of patients valuables.
6) Assists licensed staff in complicated treatment procedures.
- Assists licensed staff in performing complicated treatment procedures as requested that are within scope of responsibility.
- Demonstrates ability to follow directions and to perform specific duties under the supervision of licensed staff.
- May participate in supportive activities in a code procedure as requested.
- Current Certified Nurse Assistant certificate – required
- Current AHA BLS certificate – required
- Must be able to sit and stand/walk for 4 hours or more per day.
- Must be able to bend, push/pull and lift up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to work with others and to perform a variety of assigned duties.
- May deal with patients of all ages to include; children/pediatrics, adolescents, adults and elderly/geriatrics.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.