Website Mee Memorial Hospital
Healthcare with Heart
Assists Accounting Manager & CFO with the preparation of the month end financial statements. Accountant is responsible for maintaining the department statistics and FTE reporting of the organization. Accountant prepares assigned balance sheet reconciliations and prepares appropriate journal entries. Accountant maintains the fixed asset system which is a subsidiary ledger of the Hospital’s general ledger. Additionally, the Accountant is the primary position that supports and maintains the Accounting system; and MMHS’s internal reporting and budgeting module. The Accountant is also the primary back-up person to all staff level positions in the department.
Quality of Work:
1) Accountant assists the Accounting Manager with the preparation of the month end financial close.
- Always ensures standard and non-standard journal entries/accruals are prepared accurately and timely.
- Meets daily and communicates with the Accounting Manager on the progress of the month end close to ensure timely completion.
- Submits all journal entries to CFO for approval and records maintenance.
2) Prepares and maintains MMHS’s statistics and FTE report.
3) Always prepares the reports in an accurate and timely manner to give the Accounting Manager and CFO.
4) Reviews the results of the statistics and FTE report for material variances and reports findings to the Accounting Manager and CFO.
5) Analyzes material variances and works with appropriate department manager to justify the discrepancy.
6) Prepares and completes all assigned balance sheet accounts prior to month end close; if not possible, reconciles account(s) prior to the next month end close.
7) Analyzes balance sheet accounts for accuracy and ensures proper application of generally accepted accounting procedures (GAAP) are applied to all associated journal entries.
8) Researches potential reconciliation entries and reviews findings with Accounting Manager and recommend solution to ensure reconciliation problem is appropriately addressed to minimize recurrence of problem.
9) Submits adjusted JE entry to resolve reconciling item.
10) Ensures non-reconciled items are addressed and corrected within a 60-day time period from month of original entry and with approval of the Accounting Manager.
11) Assures fixed asset sub ledger system reconciles to the month end balances of MMHS’s fixed asset accounts.
12) Prepares all journal entries to accurately record the month end depreciation expense.
13) Reconciles all fixed asset accounts and ensures CIP accounts are recorded timely and accurately.
14) Ensures all fixed asset purchases meet the standards as documented in MMHS’s capitalization policy.
15) Ensures all CIP projects are closed in a timely manner and depreciation expense is accurately recorded.
16) When necessary, back-up staff position during daily or short-term absences and train existing staff in developing them as primary back-up.
17) Identify all critical functions required to be performed during the period of absence by the staff person not present.
18) Assess the manpower needs with the Accounting Manager and discuss strategic resolutions to cover the staff person’s absence.
19) Develop the remaining staff as potential back-up to cover future occurrences of required coverage.
- Demonstrate general knowledge and application of GAAP.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize and prioritize responsibilities to ensure timely and accurate completion of responsible assignments.
- Display problem solving skills and present recommendations to Accounting Manager to address problems or areas of weakness.
- Display high awareness of internal controls. Identify areas of weakness or improvement with a plan to address/improve internal control weaknesses.
- Display the computer skills necessary to complete the work as outlined in this job description.
- Manage time efficiently and adjust time accordingly to address non-anticipated events in any given work day.
Judgment and Decision Making:
- Uses proper tact and discretion in handling inquiries from management regarding financial conditions/activities.
- Follows the MMHS and department policies in providing financial information to other MMHS personnel and outside organizations.
- Consistently applies appropriate accounting principles and internal control standards in preparing financial statements and coordinating the maintenance of financial/accounting records.
- Consistently exercises sound judgment and analysis in reconciling accounts, reviewing general ledger and account balance information, and responding to Hospital managers’ inquiries regarding financial data.
- Consistently recognizes significant fluctuations in account balances and reports to appropriate managers on their probably causes and implications.
- Protects the confidentiality of MMHS’s financial information in accordance with established policies and guidelines.
- Seeks guidance and direction as necessary for the successful completion of job duties; asks appropriate questions when in doubt.
- Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation from a variety of perspectives. Consider several alternatives and choose the most appropriate course of action.
Relationships with Others:
- Consistently demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers in the completion of daily tasks or special projects to support the department’s efficiency.
- Consistently provides timely and accurate information to Hospital managers regarding financial conditions/activity and related matters.
- Responds to the Accounting Manager and the CFO’s request(s) for information in a timely and courteous manner.
- Consistently responds to requests from the auditors for financial statements, reports, procedures manuals and related information in a timely and courteous manner.
- Inspires confidence from co-workers, superiors, and Hospital managers by performing and communicating in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Consistently provides cooperation and assistance to data processing personnel, as requested, in the preparation of financial reports.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the maintenance of positive and effective working relationships with other MMHS departments.
- Maintains respect for confidential information.
- Consistently addresses patients, visitors, and co-workers in a pleasant and respectful manner; displays courtesy at all times.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communications skills; documents and reports clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrates an ability to work effectively with all levels of staff; enjoys working and interacting with people.
- Works well with supervisors and those in positions of authority.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent is highly desirable.
3-years’ experience performing major cash and payroll reconciliations and system maintenance of management reporting systems strongly recommended.
Accurate typing skills and familiarity with standard business machines.
Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Must be able to sit up to 6 hours and stand/walk up to 2 hours. Must be able to lift and push between 10 and 50 pounds. Must be able to use hands repetitively for 6 hours or more.
Developed skills in communication (interpersonal), analysis and organization or demonstrated potential. Ability to maintain concentration and a positive professional demeanor in a demanding environment with potential for conflict. Working knowledge of federal and state regulations as they pertain to reimbursement.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.