Website Housing Authority of the County of Monterey
JOB DESCRIPTION: Resident Services Coordinator
Under the direction of the Property Manager, the Resident Service Coordinator administers programs, provides residents with information regarding services and leads recreational and
health awareness activities for the Rippling River Development adults.
The Resident Service Coordinator is responsible for planning activities with the interest, limitations, and safety of the residents in mind. The Resident Service Coordinator must relate well to the residents and must exercise good judgment and discretion in dealings with residents, visitors, vendors, and staff.
• Providing residents with information about available resources within the community
• Referring residents to available resources within community
• Assisting tenants in accessing necessary services
• Organizing community building events at site and within community
• Educational programs for adults
• Computer training and assistance
• Periodic seasonal events
• Resource referrals upon resident request; maintain resource guide
• Health and wellness classes, to promote healthy eating lifestyle
• Include nutrition education and physical activity programs for adults
• Health information/awareness
• Chef demonstrations on healthy food variations
• On-site food cultivation and preparation classes
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Plan, research, develop, and implement recreational and educational programs upon approval of the Property Manager and Resident Services Manager. Provide service
coordination to residents regarding available resources within the community. Including computer training, art activities, and other assistance.
2. Publish a monthly calendar of events.
3. Notify all eligible participants of upcoming events and inform residents of necessary details and costs. Resident Service Coordinator is responsible for creating interest and
enthusiasm among residents to obtain their participation.
4. Set-up and break-down for activities. Cleaning up after events and reporting any broken equipment or other damaged items to maintenance for repair. S/he is responsible for
coordinating with maintenance and/or Property Manager for additional help to move and/or rearrange heavy furniture or equipment.
5. Submit proposed activity costs/estimates, lists of materials or other pertinent details to Property Manager for approval.
6. Submit reports on participation and records as requested by the Regional Manager.
7. Researches resources/programs and/or solicits donations for residents’ needs and entertainment. Maintains excellent relations with vendors, donors, and local merchants.
I. Help develop a sense of community and pride with residents. S/he is responsible for
maintaining excellent resident relations though diplomatic, gentle, and professional interaction. Must maintain or improve existing staff relationships.
2. Must become familiar with Lease/House Rules (and other pertinent documents) and observe any Lease Violations, social service problems, or other concerns and log them in the log and discuss them with the Property Manager.
3. Discuss possible interventions/solutions to problems with the Property Manager before
4. Become familiar with social services in the community and be able to provide referrals to outside organizations if a resident needs help.
5. Recreation Coordinator is to become well versed in cultural tradition and issues or events that may affect residents.
Coordination with Staff:
I. In the event of the Property Manager’s absence, the Resident Service Coordinator is to
report directly to the Resident Services Manager.
2. Maintain excellent working relationships with all staff.
3. Attend scheduled staff meetings and interface with staff in a spirit of teamwork.
4. Write work orders for any maintenance problems he/she observes or that are reported to
I. Establish and maintain cooperative relationships between residents, community agencies,
and other organizations that may benefit theresidents.
2. Stay abreast of local community events, fairs, parades, performing acts, etc., and
inform and motivate residents to attend.
3. Develop, organize and implement appropriate recreational programs.
4. Mediate quarrels or disagreements between residents, handle disagreeable residents or
situations with tact and diplomacy, and encourage and foster good communication and a caring attitude among all residents and between residents and staff.
5. Develop an on-going training/education process for residents in which they are taught
better housekeeping techniques, minor maintenance skills, and care and cleaning of the
components in their apartments.
6. Represent the community in a professional and courteous manner at all times while on the property or when doing property business.
1. Prepare lists of needed supplies for approval and purchase by the Property Manager.
Other Management Tasks:
1. Report immediately in writing any safety or health concerns that maybe observed.
2. Step in and assist other staff in times of emergency.
3. Respond to medical and building emergencies as needed.
4. Become familiar with the company policies and procedures.
5. Always observe good safety habits.
• Must have computer skills, and knowledge in how to teach others computer use.
• Must have good math and organizational skills.
• Must have excellent people and leadership skills.
• Must be able to work 20 hours per week during a five day work week. May be required to work after normal duty hours on occasions.
• Written comprehension and expression – ability to read, understand and communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
• Oral comprehension and expression – ability to listen to, understand and speak so others can understand ideas and information presented verbally.
• Must be bi-lingual/bi-literate in English and Spanish.
• Coordination of resident services
• Educational – must have knowledge of educational standards for senior adults
• Recreational – must have knowledge of recreational opportunities and be able to offer
them to residents
• Sales and marketing – knowledge of principles and methods foreshowing, promoting, and selling services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, and sales techniques
• A minimum of two years of working with adults is needed and an interest in working as a Resident Service Coordinator in a senior housing complex is desirable.
• Must be a High School graduate.
• College degree preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS/ PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Environment/ Requirements
• This position deals with outside personnel such as residents and clients on a regular basis
with contact in various forms such as in person, phone and email.
• The location of the position changes frequently from indoors to outdoors as site visits are
necessary. However, extreme environmental conditions do not exist.
• It is sometimes necessary to deal with unpleasant or angry people with the need to problem solve difficult situations.
• It is necessary to adapt to a frequently changing environment.
• Sitting and standing is as needed.
• It is necessary for the position to travel independently to property locations on a regular basis.
JOB DESCRIPTION REVISION
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change. This job description replaces all previous descriptions for this position.