Website Goodwill Central Coast
The ability you create for someone to find a job or career.
JOB SUMMARY: Assist with store managerial duties, including responsibility for store operations in the Store Manager’s absence. Perform sales associate duties, including waiting on and serving customers at retail store locations, using customer service skills to promote sales
- Oversee store operations in the absence of the Store Manager (including making daily bank deposits) and ensuring store staff deliver customer service according to defined procedures.
- Provide guidance to staff on sales questions or issues; inform Store Manager or designee of personnel-related problems.
- Provide input to Store Manager on staff performance appraisals and counseling’s.
- Greet store customers; offer assistance and suggestions to customers in making product selections.
- Ring up sales on cash register, following cash handling procedures.
- Perform defined store opening/closing procedures.
- Place/display inventory on sales floor, following defined procedures. Straighten and/or rearrange merchandise to increase customer appeal and ensure a neat and safe work environment.
- Assist with stock rotation and markdowns, as directed by the Store Manager or designee. Prepare store donations and rotated merchandise for transfer to the central processing plant.
- Communicate problems, complaints, potential theft and/or safety issues to the Store Manager or designee.
Depending on location, may perform minor janitorial duties as required/assigned.
Perform related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIRED: High school diploma or equivalent.
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: May require a valid California class C driver license, depending on specific position.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: One year previous sales experience or equivalent, including six months in a lead sales associate capacity, or equivalent.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED: Basic math ability.
Familiarity with Goodwill Central Coast’s mission, general Company and retail policies and procedures (this may be learned on-the-job).
Familiarity with electronic cash registers.
EQUIPMENT USED: Typical retail store equipment, typical office equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing. Ability to communicate in basic Spanish preferred.
- Ability to maintain self-control, deal effectively with public and work in cooperation with co-workers.
- Ability to tactfully explain decisions and present information clearly.
- Ability to learn and perform opening/closing procedures, cash register operation, bank deposit procedures and related store operations paperwork.
- Ability to understand and accept directions and follow procedures.
- Ability to coordinate eye/hand/foot movement to safely handle and/or move merchandise to minimize damage and eliminate hazards and accidents/injuries.
- Ability to move hands and fingers quickly to operate cash register.
Ability to perform both repetitive and varied duties without loss of composure or efficiency.
- Ability to demonstrate satisfactory attendance, according to Goodwill Central Coast policy.
- Depending on the specific position, may require ability to drive a vehicle in the transaction of Company business. This requires a good driving record, and may require proof of personal vehicle liability insurance.
- Ability to adhere to safe work practices as documented in Company safety policies; ability to report safety hazards/accidents promptly to supervisor or safety committee member.
The job involves limited emotional effort. There are few deadlines requiring little or no overtime. The work environment is routine with isolated periods of high activity/demands.
Work is performed in an enclosed storeroom floor. The area is heated and ventilated. Some locations have a receiving area which is less climactically controlled and where work is occasionally performed. The working/standing surface is uniform. Dust and dirt is controlled by daily cleaning of work area and are insignificant. Noise and vibrations are insignificant; however, radios and/or televisions may be turned on.
The work pace is steady with constant standing and walking. Frequent lifting/carrying of objects weighing up to 15 lbs., with regular lifting/carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs. is required. Large or heavier items (26 lbs. or more) are moved by using appropriate material handling equipment and/or assistance from co-workers.
Normal or corrected talking, hearing, and seeing abilities are sufficient to perform required tasks.
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either orally or in writing.
SUPPLEMENTAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Standing——————— Consistently, 71-100% of the time
Walking———————- Consistently, 71-100% of the time
Sitting———————— Rarely, 0-10% of the time
Bending———————- Regularly, 31-70% of the time
Pushing/pulling————- Regularly, 31-70% of the time
Climbing——————— Occasionally, 11-30% of the time
Squatting/kneeling——– Regularly, 31-70% of the time
Lifting/carrying————- Regularly, 31-70% of the time (0-25 lbs.)
Longest distance carried: 50 feet.
Heaviest item carried: 25 lbs.
Reaching at or above shoulder level—— Regularly, 31-70% of the time
Reaching at or below shoulder level—— Regularly, 31-70% of the time
Hand/finger dexterity————————– Consistently, 71-100% of the time
Talking/hearing/seeing———————– Normal or corrected abilities sufficient to perform tasks.
JOB MODIFICATION: The physical aspect of the position may be able to be modified, depending on the specific modification and the duration of the modification required.
Click HERE to Apply