Website Ecology Action
Award-winning environmental non-profit consultancy
Ecology Action is hiring two Program Specialists at 32-40 hours per week. Reporting to the Program Manager, the Program Specialists will be responsible for the supervision of Program Coordinators and for the development and delivery of Safe Routes to School bike and walk safety education and encouragement programs. The ideal candidate must be a reliable, responsible individual who is highly organized with great attention to detail and strong interpersonal skills and has supervisory experience or transferable skills.
We are actively recruiting for two Program Specialists: one based out of Monterey County with a target start date of July 1st and one based in Santa Cruz County with a target star date of August 5th. Positions are currently scheduled to run through June 15th, 2023, and continuation beyond this is dependent upon program funding.
At Ecology Action we are committed to diversity in our workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQI+ persons are highly encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Team Leadership and Staff Supervision (50%)
Supervise team Program Coordinators that primarily lead the delivery of bicycle and walk safety education at local elementary schools.
- Coach and mentor staff, in office and at school sites, 1-2 days per week.
- Conduct weekly team meetings and bi-weekly 1:1 meetings with staff.
- Assign tasks to Program Coordinators based on priorities identified in collaboration with Program Manager.
- Ensure that scheduling of school events are done accurately, in a timely manner and according to the delivery plan stipulated by Program Manager.
- Review calendar of events and outcomes to ensure that team is tracking accurately all events in accordance to grant goals.
- Review and approve timesheets, expenses, and time off requests.
- Plan staff daily schedule to allow for lunch breaks and paid breaks as required per state and federal law.
- Write annual performance reviews in collaboration with Program Manager.
- Collaborate with the existing Program Managers and other Program Specialist to ensure consistency of program delivery and team member professional growth, foster a positive regional collaboration among team members, and improve program efficiency and quality.
Event Leadership – Bike and Walk Safety and Encouragement Programs (50%)
- Lead presentations and in-field bike and walk safety trainings as needed.
- Assist with scheduling of bike and pedestrian school events as needed.
- Lead community presentations as needed, if team members are not available.
- Lead on the Implementation of Bike and Pedestrian Encouragement Initiatives in collaboration with grant partners and schools. Examples include:
- Walk to School Programs: Develop and implement walk to school programs at pre-determined elementary schools.
- Bike/Walk to School Events and Family Fun Festivals: Collaborate with grant partners to organize, promote, and participate in events.
- Adult Workshops and Outreach: Lead on conducting public outreach and safety workshops/presentations, targeting adults and seniors.
- Coordinate with school administrators, lead informational presentations, host trainings, coordinate with parent/community volunteers and track the success of the program.
- Supervise program interns and volunteers and assist with recruitment.
- Collaborate with Volunteer Program staff to ensure smooth management and onboarding process for volunteers.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Proven ability to manage a diverse team of staff members or demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Ability to mobilize and mentor team members to achieve success.
3+ years of (intern, educational, or professional) experience in a youth education role.
- Experience with project management fundamentals (work plan, schedule, resourcing and budget management).
- Ability to execute detailed implementation of plans incorporating objectives and details from multiple grants.
- Strong and professional interpersonal, relationship building, and facilitation skills with team members, partner agencies and school representatives.
- Ability to work independently and maintain organization of multiple concurrent projects.
- Excellent and professional communication (both written and verbal), coordination and organizational skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite.
- Valid California Class C Driver’s license, a reliable personal vehicle available for work purposes (mileage reimbursement provided), and current automobile insurance.
- Fluent in English.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Experience collaborating with partner organizations.
- One plus year experience supervising a team or transferable experience.
- Prior experience with event planning and/or community organizing.
- Knowledge of the communities that we serve.
- Experience working in the area of education.
- Passion for sustainable transportation or sustainable practices.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The environment is a mixture of an office setting and working out in the field (at schools and community events) to plan and implement youth bicycle trainings.
- Preparation for training events involves multiple trips to the storage unit in basement to load and unload supplies into the agency trailer, including bicycles, boxes of helmets and other supplies. The employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The position requires availability between 7am and 4pm on weekdays for scheduled events during the school day as well as occasional weekend or evening events.
Ecology Action offers a competitive salary and a generous benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision and flexible spending benefits; a 401k-retirement plan with a 4% match; and group life insurance. Driving an insured personal vehicle on company business is required, and mileage reimbursement is provided at the Federal rate.
More About Us
Ecology Action is an award-winning nonprofit consultancy that provides innovative sustainability solutions for businesses and governmental entities. Much of our work is done through a wholly owned for-profit general contractor that manages energy and water efficiency installations across the country. We operate on the principle that simplifying the process of making small changes drives decision-makers toward large-scale changes that benefit people and the planet. This translates into reduced carbon emissions, stronger businesses, healthier communities, and a sustainable future for all.
Ecology Action believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success and should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. This position description outlines primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but is not intended to be a comprehensive description of job responsibilities. We expect each employee to offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Ecology Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in its workforce. Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as an employee for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Ecology Action does not offer a company paid relocation program.