Website Slingshot Connections
Position: Customer Service Representative
Location: Monterey, CA
Schedule: Mon-Fri 8am-5pm
Purpose of Position
The Customer Service Representative is responsible for answering telephone inquiries and responding to
correspondence from clients, members and providers regarding eligibility, claims status and benefit
• Interacts with customers (client, member and provide) via telephone, email, or in person to
provide support and information specific to eligibility, benefits, claims, prior authorization
requirements and appeals.
• Document all communication in the applicable system of record.
• Provide proactive education to customers, as it relates to their specific inquiry.
• Provide accurate and timely responses to all customer inquiries.
• Successfully bring all issues to closure within appropriate timeframe.
• Provide support and coverage to inter-departmental staff as needed.
• Coordinate customer appeals and grievances with appropriate staff.
• Perform other activities and functions as assigned.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including active listening.
• Working knowledge of customer service procedures and principles Service-oriented; Ability to resolve customer complaints and issues while maintaining a
professional and calm demeanor.
• Working knowledge of federal regulation specific to the administration of self-funded employer
health and welfare plans, including ERISA, Department of Labor and Health and Human Services.
• Working knowledge of coding, billing and medical terminology.
• Ability to operate spreadsheet, word processing programs and computer equipment required to
fulfill position responsibilities.
• Exceptional diplomacy skills to effectively resolve issues under sometimes tense and stressful
• Readily adaptable to the changing needs of the business; able to manage multiple priorities;
tolerance for ambiguity.
• Ability to use sound judgement, identify next steps to be taken, and develop appropriate solutions.
• Ability to collaborate with multiple parties to solve problems.
• Accountability and Dependability: Assumes responsibility for accomplishing duties in an
effective and timely manner.
• Integrity: Consistently honors commitments and takes responsibility for actions and words.
• Software and Computer Skills: Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, Highly skilled at
using the Internet. Must learns effectively with computer-based and/or online training.
• Flexibility: Demonstrates adaptability and openness to alternative solutions and flexibility when
interacting with others, understanding their attitudes, needs, interests, and perspectives.
• Inclusiveness: The ability to network and partner with all internal and external stakeholders
including broad and diverse representation of private/public and traditional/non-traditional
Skills and Education
• Associates degree, or applicable professional experience, required.
• Minimum 1 to 3 years experience in a healthcare or insurance industry call center.