Website City of Soledad
It's Happening in Soledad
Under general supervision, provides highly responsible media communications and community relations, research, and project management functions for the Office of Community Engagement. Coordinates social media and other communication campaigns including but not limited to webpage management, public service announcements and public outreach; assists in the preparation and implementation of public workshops, special events, and community events; coordinates priority project development using project management software; assists with content development for various multimedia productions; provides technical administrative support for assigned programs and projects; provides highly responsible and complex professional assistance to the Community Engagement Manager; and performs related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from assigned supervisory or management personnel. No direct supervision of staff is exercised. Exercises project direction to professional, technical, or office support staff, and/or consultants on a project basis.
This classification assists in the development, direction, coordination, and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the Office of Community Engagement. Responsibilities include the implementation of social media content creation and management for the City’s social media platforms, using discretion and independent judgment, as well as applied knowledge of departmental and city-wide goals and activities. The work has technical and programmatic aspects, requiring discretion, confidentiality, and application of best practices of public engagement, as well as performing various research and project management functions. This class is distinguished from the Community Engagement Manager in that the latter has overall responsibility for all staff, budget, and establishing direction of project goals for the Office of Community Engagement.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
Communications & Social Media Functions
- Design layouts, graphics, and content for web pages and social media sites, PSA’s, special project video productions; update social media and web page sites with current information.
- Type, format, proofread, convert, and distribute materials using MS Suite and/or Adobe.
- Write and edit press releases, PSA’s, social media posts, marketing collateral, and other content.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement outreach and social media campaigns for public consumption.
- Establish and maintain inter-related filing systems containing marketing, public relations; maintain confidentiality of sensitive information as appropriate; create and maintain project logs and other manual records as required.
- Operate relevant equipment to create social media functions including video editing software, computers, recording devices, video and still cameras proficiently.
- Work with department staff to design outreach plans and materials for social media or web content.
- Work with department and other staff to research and write advisories, alerts, and support materials; facilitate distribution of information as assigned.
Community Engagement Functions
- Prepare weekly staff report for Community Engagement Manager and other reports as requested.
- Manage, research, and build lists of external outreach partners.
- Support facilitation of youth workshops, townhalls, and other public workshops. Assist with coalition efforts, organizing meetings, develop action plans and agendas.
- Serve as a liaison with employees, public, private organizations, community groups, and other organizations by attending meetings; provides information and assistance to the public regarding the assigned programs and services; receives and responds to complaints and questions relating to assigned area of responsibility; reviews problems and recommends corrective actions.
- Maintain and manage records and files for assigned programs, including all MOUs, media assets, and volunteer information.
- Coordinate gala awards and other event programs.
- Serve as liaison to committee or subcommittees as assigned.
- Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others. Effectively convey information in person, in writing, or by telephone.
- Acts as a City representative and liaison, as needed, on relevant topics, including responding to questions and comments from the public in a courteous and timely manner and collaborating with involved parties to reach resolutions on identified issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with major coursework in communications, public administration, marketing, social work, public policy, political science, or a related field preferred, and two (2) years of relevant experience. Strong working knowledge of and experience in communications, marketing, and promotion, including social media. Experience working with the public in a government, educational, or non-profit setting preferred.
- Valid California class C driver’s license with satisfactory driving record.