Website CITY OF SALINAS
City in California
$5,181.00 – $6,613.00 Monthly
Salinas City Hall, CA
The City of Salinas invites qualified applicants to apply for the position of Network Systems Specialist. This recruitment is open until filled and may close at any time without prior notice.
Under general direction, the Network Systems Specialist provides a variety of technical support in maintaining and managing the Windows computer systems; virtual machine environment, network equipment, and provide occasional assistance to city staff on the use of computing equipment.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Incumbents independently perform a full range of technical analysis and evaluation of the Windows, virtual machine environment, and network-connected equipment for system users.
Supervision Received and Exercised: Incumbent receives general supervision from the Network/Systems Administrator. Technical and functional supervision may be provided by higher-level Information Systems staff members.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: All applicants must attach proof of required education at the time of application, or submit documents to the Human Resources Department immediately following application. Applications without the required documentation will be considered incomplete and will not be eligible to move forward in the application process.
Essential Job Functions
- Configures and maintains window servers and clients
- Configures and maintains virtual machine environment
- Performs network-connected equipment troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose common problems
- Configures, maintains, and installs workstation hardware and software
- Confers with users regarding operating problems, diagnoses malfunctions, identifies if problem is software or hardware related and performs corrective repairs or arranges for repair on all workstations, servers, and peripherals
- Provides technical support of workstation connectivity, application, and database server access
- Assists with receiving, installing, setting up, and deploying computer equipment
- Oversees installation and upgrades of existing computer systems
- Occasionally may train users in use of hardware and software
- Performs PC/server administration
- Assists in preparing time and cost estimates of proposed projects involving PC computers, network servers, and/or other equipment
- Meets with departments and evaluate needs
- Assists in maintaining equipment and software license inventory
- Assists in developing documentation and procedures for users and for internal use
- Maintains the confidentiality of department information
- Assists in evaluating hardware and software packages and makes recommendations concerning their capabilities and appropriateness for City network environment
- Participates in the development of City-wide data standards
- Promotes the mission values and organization of an effective public organization, particularly in the area of customer service
- Promotes and maintains safety in the workplace
- Performs related duties as assigned
- Windows operating systems commands and concepts
- Concepts and understanding of a virtual machine environment
- System administrator commands and concepts
- Installing peripheral equipment such as printers, etc., on server/client computer systems
- Software application packages such as MS Office
- Installation and configuration of server software
- Assisting in configuring network security (Groups, Profiles, Passwords)
- Personal computers connected to the internet
- Computer documentation procedures
- Data processing and basic programming techniques
- Networking concepts including multiple operating system configurations
- Emergency procedures relating to computer equipmentAbility to:
- Work effectively and cooperatively with computer system users and department staff
- Identify, evaluate, and solve problems with computer systems and network connected equipment
- Read, interpret, and apply technical publications, manuals, and other documents
- Learn and understand data processing concepts and programs used by the City
- Communicate effectively with personnel of user Departments, both orally and in writing
- Schedule and perform work within time limits and deadlines
- Troubleshoot both hardware and software problems and determine effective solutions
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Work safely around electronic equipment
- Effectively deal with equipment malfunctions, deadlines, and fluctuating workloads
- Work with and maintain the confidentiality of sensitive informationSkills to:
- Operate the multiple computer systems, communications, and peripheral equipment
- Collaborate with staff and/or outside personnel is an essential part of the position
Education and Experience: High School Diploma/GED and four (4) years of full-time progressively responsible professional experience with PC/server hardware and software, virtual machines, networking, and data communications and design knowledge.
Or Associate Degree in computer science or related field and three (3) years of full-time progressively responsible professional experience with PC/server hardware and software, virtual machines, networking, and data communications and design knowledge.
Or Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related field and two (2) years of full-time progressively responsible professional experience with PC/server hardware and software, virtual machines, networking and data communications and design knowledge.
Licenses and Certifications: A valid State of California Driver’s License. VMware certification to be obtained within one year of employment. Employee must complete SB 1343 Sexual Harassment Prevention Training within six months of appointment and every two years thereafter.
Other Requirements: Positions within the Information Systems Department require an extensive background investigation and criminal background check. Employment offers are contingent upon passing the above requirements.
*Please apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/salinas
*For questions, please contact Venissa Rosa, Senior Human Resources Technician, at firstname.lastname@example.org
*TO VIEW OTHER OPENINGS BY THIS ORGINIZATION CLICK HERE