Website City Of Greenfield
City or town hall
Under administrative direction of the Fire Chief, plan, organize, oversee and perform administrative support work for the Fire Department. Responsibilities include word processing, typing, entering information into various computer systems, faxing, filing, report preparation and providing other general office support services. This class is distinguished from other City office support classes in that the work requires contact with the public in addition to the performance of general office work and support.
$47,736 – $62,816
The following duties and functions are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties/functions do not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required, assigned, and expected commensurate with the administrative needs of the fire department.
• Answer phone calls.
• Schedule appointments and meetings for the Fire Chief and other members of the Fire Department.
• Provides administrative support as needed.
• Assist with financial responsibilities such as monitoring the budget, processing requisitions and invoices, and processing payroll documents.
• Maintain time and leave records for department staff.
• Prepare correspondence, forms, requisitions, purchase orders, labels and specialized documents from drafts, notes, previous documents or brief instructions, using a PC, laptop, word processor, spreadsheets or typewriter.
• Proofreads and checks materials for accuracy, completeness, compliance with departmental and City policies and correct English usage, including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
• Establishes and maintains office files; research and compile information from such files and purges or transfers files as required.
• Maintain and safeguard personnel background files in accordance with law and Departmental policies and procedures.
• Process incoming and outgoing mail.
• Order and maintain inventory of office supplies for the fire department.
• Operate a variety of standard office equipment, including a computer, copier, facsimile equipment, and a centralized telephone system.
• Attend department related meetings as directed for maintaining a record through minutes of discussions and directions.
• Prepare and schedule travel arrangements for fire department personnel for training, conferences, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Standard office practices and procedures, including the operation of standard office equipment.
• Business arithmetic.
• Business letter writing and the standard format for correspondence and reports.
• Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Computer applications related to the work.
• Filing principles and practices.
• Techniques for dealing with and solving the problems presented by a variety of individuals, in person and over the telephone.
Skills / Abilities
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those
contacted in the course of work.
• Planning, organizing, administering, coordinating, reviewing and evaluating the functions of the department and meeting critical deadlines.
• Execute and implementing goals, objectives, policies, procedures, work
standards and internal controls for the departments as directed by the Fire Chief.
• Performing technical, detailed and responsible administrative support work.
• Making accurate arithmetic calculations.
• Have knowledge of the City budget, working with Fire Chief to update budget annually and mid year adjustments.
• Compiling and summarizing information to prepare clear and accurate reports.
• Typing or word processing at a rate of 40 net words per minute.
• Must exhibit maturity, professionalism, confidentiality, and the ability to remain focused on tasks, meet deadlines, and show initiative.
Must possess a valid California class C driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record acceptable by the City’s insurance carrier.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment; stamina to maintain attention to detail and work on a computer for an extended period of time; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, over the telephone and on a two-way radio. Tasks, particularly dealing with property and evidence maintenance, requires the ability to exert light physical effort, including but not limited to, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling, etc. of objects and materials of light weight (generally 25 pounds or less).
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Equivalent to graduation from high school. Past experience performing general office support, administrative, or secretarial experience is highly desirable. Bilingual; English/Spanish is highly preferred but not required.
All of the statements listed in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of
personnel so classified in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change.
*Please submit a completed City application, DMV record, and resume with a cover letter to: the City Manager’s Office, City of Greenfield, 599 El Camino Real, Greenfield, CA 93927, you can contact Nina Aguayo, Executive Assistant at 831.304.0307 or submit via email: firstname.lastname@example.org