Central Coast YMCA
SUMMARY: Works closely with the Lead Camp Counselor and Camp Coordinator to implement a fun, stimulating camp experience which results in personal growth and improved group work skills for the campers. Duties include assisting with the supervision and guidance of campers while facilitating and participating in camp-approved activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Day Camp Activities and Involvement:
· Works within the plan set by the Camp Coordinator to implement, lead, facilitate and/or participate with enthusiasm in camp activities, such as sports, games, music, social recreation, skits and hobbies.
· Provides leadership and direction for a safe, supervised atmosphere in a drug, alcohol, sexual, smoke and profanity-free environment.
· Engages and interacts with counselors and campers continually during scheduled shifts (this includes helping kids change, sitting with them on the bus, helping them pack, and playing, swimming, singing and talking with them).
· Assists in supervising all campers assigned which includes constant visual contact.
· Is aware of physical condition of each camper and any medication requirements that require referral to the Camp Coordinator.
· Makes location of assigned group known to the Camp Coordinator at all times, including any changes in agreed-upon plans.
· Implement appropriate physical and behavioral limits on campers’ behavior and activities. Effectively deals with negative camper behavior without physical or abusive verbal punishment. If such behavior continues, monitors and notifies such behavior to Camp Coordinator. Immediately reports any consistent or extreme behavior problems to the Camp Coordinator for proper handling.
· Serves as a positive role model and provides, by example and leadership, motivation and direction to all Central Coast YMCA campers.
· Must actively participate in activities.
· Attends all required trainings and staff meetings.
· Arrives on time for scheduled work shifts and performs work duties the entire shift.
· Refers anything that appears out of the ordinary to the Camp Coordinator.
· Reports all accidents to Administrator on Duty and ensures Camp Coordinator is notified as well, without exception.
· Follows all Central Coast YMCA and branch policies and procedures.
· Acts in a safe and acceptable manner, follows established safety procedures, uses appropriate safeguards, and observes common sense rules of safety in all on-the-job activities. Ensures coworkers and campers do the same.
· Conducts self in a manner that reflects credit on the Central Coast YMCA and encourages others to do the same.
· Embraces the asset-building approach to healthy youth development and incorporates asset development into all aspects of their work.
· Helps to set-up and clean-up camp for projects, activities and meals as required.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
· Must have high school diploma or be enrolled in high school or completed high school equivalency.
· Demonstrated ability to lead, facilitate and participate in engaging activities with children 5-14 years old.
· Ability to effectively present information to management, coworkers and campers.
· Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts.
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Other Skills, Requirements, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
· At least 18 years of age.
· Ability and willingness to work as a team.
· Enthusiastic, dependable and a sense of humor.
· Willing to follow directions and take initiative.
· Understanding of the YMCA missionand a willingness to demonstrate the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in interactions with campers, staff and parents of campers.
· Even-tempered and able to adjust tasks in accordance with changing priorities.
· Interest in, and ability to interact with, and have positive impacts upon campers.
· Current CPR and First Aid Certification.
· Background check as requested.
· Wears YMCA shirt/uniform.
· A neat, clean appearance. Other than the conservative use of earrings, no visible body piercings are acceptable (pierced tongues are not allowed).
· No visible tattoos.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Also required to climb, push and pull.
· Acts in a safe and acceptable manner, follows established safety procedures, uses appropriate safeguards and observes common sense rules of safety in all on-the-job activities. Ensures coworkers do the same.
· The employee is regularly required to get in water and occasionally may be required to swim.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Assistance is required above this amount. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $15.50 – $16.50 per hour
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Experience with Children: 1 year (Preferred)
Childcare: 1 year (Preferred)
First Aid Certification (Preferred)
CPR Certification (Preferred)