Website Central Coast YMCA
Category: Youth Development
Job Type: Part Time / Seasonal
Rate: $14.00-$15.00 an hour
JOB TITLE: Program Aide
REPORTS TO: Site Coordinator
Under the direction of their Site Coordinator, provides leadership to groups of children and assists in the overall management and supervision of the program at the assigned site.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as an active member of the YMCA staff team, which includes being available to participate in school break camps while school is in session.
- Provides direct leadership to groups of children at the site, working to provide a safe, caring, stimulating environment for the children and co-workers.
- Provides direct support to groups of children on site with distance learning.
- Reports and tracks student’s attendance and academic needs.
- Under the direction of their Site Coordinator, implements and participates in developmentally appropriate curriculum for groups of children.
- Delivers the curriculum to the children by providing a positive example to follow as well as specific instructions and feedback.
- Maintains accurate, up to date records on behavioral and health concerns for each child prior to and throughout their participation in the program.
- Communicates concerns as soon as possible to their Site Coordinator.
- Develops positive relationships with parents of participants through consistent, professional communication.
- Supports the Site Coordinator in implementation of Central Coast YMCA policies and procedures.
- Follows California State and County child care requirements for school aged children.
- Assists their Site Coordinator with developing, promoting and conducting events and activities to involve the families of program participants.
- Transfers to alternative sites as needed.
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
- Attends all required trainings and staff meetings.
- Arrives on time for scheduled work shifts and performs work duties the entire shift.
- Refers anything that appears out of the ordinary to their Site Coordinator.
- Reports all accidents to their Site Coordinator, without exception.
- Follows all Central Coast YMCA policies and branch procedures.
- Adheres to School Age Child Care dress code.
- Acts in a safe and acceptable manner, follows established safety procedures, uses appropriate safeguards, and observes common sense rules of safety in all on-the-job activities. Ensures coworkers do the same.
- Conducts self in a manner that reflects credit on the Central Coast YMCA and encourages others to do the same.
- Helps to set-up and clean-up for projects, activities, meals and any other housekeeping duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or GED or completion of high school equivalency.
- Completed 6 semester units and is currently taking 6 qualifying units or the equivalent quarter units in child development, child and family development, or elementary education at hire. Recommended an additional three semester units or the equivalent quarter units in administration or staff relations. (Applies to Licensed Site Only)
- Demonstrated ability to lead, facilitate and participate in engaging activities with children 5-14 years old.
- One or more years’ experience in related recreation, leisure services or related field with emphasis on programs for youth, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the desirable knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Basic Knowledge of computer skills (e.g. email, Word, Excel).
- Ability to keep track of hours worked, and to record those hours in a web-based timesheet application.
- English language skills: ability to converse, read, and write.
- Ability to effectively present information to management, coworkers, children, parents and any other related program partners.
- Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts.
- Ability to learn and teach common core math concepts.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Other Skills, Requirements, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- At least 18 years of age.
- Ability and willingness to work as a team.
- Enthusiastic, dependable and a sense of humor.
- Willing to follow directions and take initiative.
- Understanding of the YMCA mission and a willingness to demonstrate the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in interactions with children, staff and parents.
- Even-tempered and able to adjust tasks in accordance with changing priorities.
- Interest in and ability to interact with children and have positive impacts upon them.
- Possesses Current CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Live Scan Clearance.
- Completed pre-employment health screening and TB test.
- College transcripts with applicable ECE units. (Applies to Licensed Site Only)
- A neat, clean appearance. Other than the conservative use of earrings, visible body piercings are unacceptable (pierced tongues are not allowed).
- No visible tattoos which convey a message of hate, exclusion, intimidation, threat, violence, drugs or alcohol, or profanity.
The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Also required to climb, push and pull
- Acts in a safe and acceptable manner, follows established safety procedures, uses appropriate safeguards and observes common sense rules of safety in all on-the-job activities. Ensures coworkers do the same.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Assistance is required above this amount. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
HOW TO APPLY:
Job Applications are available at www.centralcoastymca.org or at the YMCA of Monterey Peninsula or resumes can be emailed to Robin Schnekenburger, Executive Director of Youth Development at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer.