Website Central Coast Center for Independent Living
Job Title: Case Manager/Housing Specialist
Reports to: Director of Programs
Location: Santa Cruz County
Exemption Status: Exempt, 100% time with benefits
BENEFITS: Employers pay for employee’s medical, dental and vision insurance. Other benefits include, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability Plan, State Disability Insurance, Sick and Vacation paid leave, paid holidays, 403 Retirement Plan, Flexible Spending Plan (Section 125 Plan), Workers Compensation and Self-Paid Supplemental insurance available through Aflac.
Position at a non-profit Center for Independent Living to provide direct services that promote the independent living philosophy of consumer control, equal access and equal opportunity for people with disabilities. The individual in this position will provide housing navigation and case management services under the Housing Disability Advocacy Program (HDAP) Rapid Rehousing Services through the Santa Cruz County. The Case Manager/Housing Specialist will work in partnership and collaboration with multiple agencies to help rapidly rehouse HDAP consumers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide field-based services to homeless individuals enrolled in the HDPA Rapid Rehousing program.
• Conduct intake and assessments of all consumers seeking services.
• Develop and implement an individualized service plan with consumers that supports housing goals, increases income and mainstream benefits, relapse prevention, medication management and any other risk factors that could impede accessing and/or maintaining permanent housing.
• Directly assist consumers by locating housing, filling out housing applications, providing mediation with landlords and neighbors, providing
Case Manager Job Announcement
written information about landlords/tenant rights and responsibilities, reviewing and understanding the requirements of the lease, assisting in obtaining rental history, credit history, obtain identification or other documents needed to apply for housing, social security benefits, or any other state or local benefits, assist the consumers to develop a household budget, and provide information and referral services to other partners/services providers in our community.
• Assist consumers to apply for Social Security benefits.
• Develop close working relationships with landlords, local service providers, outreach workers, case managers, and collaborative agencies.
• Provide ongoing case management services that will ensure successful permanent housing, decrease social isolation and reduce relapse risks, advocacy to deter evictions, and linage and brokerage to any needed services such as medical/dental, mental health, substance abuse, life skills training, self-help, money management and meaningful community activities.
• Utilize a harm reduction/housing first model when working with clients.
• Respond to urgent requests for assistance from clients or landlords as needed.
• Keep thorough and high-quality case notes and enter in HMIS within 24 hours.
• Complete all forms required for rapid rehousing thoroughly and completely.
• Obtain and retain all required documentation (e.g., leases, income verification) as required by the program.
• Participate in all meetings with collaborative agencies and other community meetings as directed.
• Complete weekly monthly and quarterly reports as requested by funder.
• Participate in consumer progress meeting/case conferencing with other providers/funder.
• Participate in Homeless Action Partnership (HAP) meetings.
OUTREACH AND EDUCATION
▪ Conduct community training and in-services when appropriate.
▪ Initiate speaking engagements and formal presentations to property managers, landlords, and other housing agencies.
▪ Implementation of outreach activities for the purpose of increasing the awareness of the CIL.
▪ Disseminate fliers, posters, business cards, and/or brochures as appropriate to businesses, organizations, and current, past and prospective consumers.
▪ Conduct activities to reach un-served and underserved populations. This includes developing resources in outlining communities in the service area.
Case Manager Job Announcement
▪ Attend assigned trainings and meeting
▪ Personal experience with disability and an understanding of diverse cultures
▪ Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Psychology, Social Work or related field.
▪ Experience with homeless, vulnerable and or diverse population
▪ Knowledge of Public Housing Authority and Housing subsidies is ideal (ie, Section 8, Shelter Plus Care, VASH), a plus.