Website Brighter Bites
About Brighter Bites
Brighter Bites is a nonprofit that creates communities of health through fresh food with the goal of changing behavior among children and their families to prevent obesity and achieve long-term health. Brighter Bites is an evidence-based, multi-component elementary school, preschool, and summer camp program that utilizes reliable access to fruits and vegetables, nutrition education, and consistent exposure to recipes and messages that feature fresh food. To learn more about Brighter Bites visit brighterbites.org.
The Program Associate works primarily at assigned schools/sites to support Brighter Bites’ produce distributions and participates in boxing produce at produce company cooler. This position is part time, requiring candidates to be available for approximately 2-5 days per week up to 20 hours per week for the next school year(August – May). There will be gaps in our program during the winter and spring break.
– Works onsite in collaboration with other Program Associate(s) and Program Coordinator during the Produce Boxing, Produce Bagging and Produce Distribution events.
– Ensure proper program implementation, including: Supervising and leading groups of volunteers, managing produce logistics, and educating volunteers, parents, and children on basic nutrition education topics. Managing indoor or outdoor produce distributions, managing supplies and materials, and ensuring safety procedures are implemented.
– Assists the Program Coordinator with tracking Brighter Bites program components by maintaining accurate data and daily reports for each site.
– Constantly strives to engage families, site partners, and community members to create and maintain a welcoming, fun, and health-conscious environment at all times.
– Communicates with the Brighter Bites team to share successes and challenges for each assigned
site and provides insight for improvement.
– Learns the nutrition education curriculum and effectively communicates these messages to
– Contributes to evening community events, as needed.
– Other duties as assigned.
– Must be willing to follow and enforce evolving CDC guidelines, including but not limited to:
– wearing a mask, wearing disposable gloves, and social distancing.
– Advanced Spanish language skills a plus. Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred but not required.
– Comfortable with giving presentations to small and large groups.
– Ability to manage large groups of people.
– Understanding of key nutrition concepts, basic culinary skills, and/or strong interest in cooking.
– Proficient computer skills, including comfort using phone/tablet apps and MS Office.
– Previous experience volunteering/interning with Brighter Bites is a plus.
– Must be on time, able to work independently, and reliable.
– Desire to work with a mission-driven organization that shares the power of fresh food with others, especially children and families.
Operational and Physical Requirements
– Must be able to travel independently to school sites (mileage reimbursement provided).
– Must be able to work outdoors actively for 3-6 hours at a time and lift 10-50 pounds continuously on a daily basis.
– Must have a smart phone in order to message team and track time (stipend provided).
– Must be able to manage supplies and bring them to your sites.
Start Date & Work Schedule
– Must be available to work 10-20 hours/week.
– In addition to weekly team meetings the Program Associate will be assigned to schools 1-3 days/week (Tuesday-Thursday). A typical day will include facilitating produce delivery, work with a volunteer team to bag or box produce and work alongside a Program Associate and/or Program Coordinator to distribute produce to families.
– The schedule will vary to fit the needs of the site with afternoon shifts as late as 5-6:30pm and
will include 1-2 Saturdays per month.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital status, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please send resume to Alicia.email@example.com with “Program Associate” in the subject line.