Website Boys & Girls Clubs of Monterey County
Youth Development, non-profit organization
Title: Sports & Recreation Assistant (Impact Leader II – Sports, Fitness & Recreation (SFR) – [30 hours/week – full benefits]
Work Schedule: Part-time – non-exempt. Generally scheduled up to 30 hours per week, Monday – Friday, between 11:00 am and 6:00pm. Occasional late evening and weekend responsibilities (i.e., training, sports leagues, special events).
Reports to: Impact Specialist, Sports Fitness & Recreation
MISSION: “Our Mission is to inspire and empower the youth of Monterey County to realize their full potential to become responsible, healthy, productive and successful citizens.”
POSITION SUMMARY: Working under the direction of their assigned Supervisor, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Monterey County (BGCMC) Sports, Fitness & Recreation, Impact Leader II plays an essential role in helping youth succeed as they directly serve as positive role models, mentors and activity leaders to diverse youth between the ages of 6 to 18 years old. Helping youth acquire the necessary developmental assets they need to achieve Academic Success, adopt a Healthy Lifestyle and cultivate their Good Character & Citizenship. The BGCMC Sports, Fitness & Recreation, Impact Leader II is responsible for providing leadership and contributing to:
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitate Healthy Lifestyle programs: sports, nutrition/fitness, recreation, field trips, and sports leagues
- Facilitate BGCMC programs during intercession periods
- Monitors progress and takes action accordingly, emphasis on youth reach (e.g., outreach, recruitment, retention, average daily attendance, program participation, etc.) and impact
- Assist with Club-wide special events and SFR events
- Provide youth a safe, positive environment – both physically and emotionally;
- Uphold high expectations for youth
- Address youth behavior with a positive discipline approach that is fair, firm, consistent and kind; helping youth take responsibility/accountability for their actions accompanied with appropriate consequences;
- Manage yourself, impact staff and volunteers
- Ensure safety and cleanliness of program spaces
- Work collaboratively with the SFR Specialist in hiring, training, and managing Education Youth Development Professional’s and up to 4 Volunteers;
- Responsible for conduct as a role model/mentor for youth and mandated reporter
- Contributes to strategic planning and facilitates implementation with clarity of goals, roles and responsibilities, process ensuring effective, accountable working relationships to achieve results.
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- Minimum two years’ experience working with youth ages 6-18 years old;
- Two years of experience coaching and/or implementing sports, fitness and/or recreation programs
- Demonstrated classroom management ability
- Tech savvy, including proficiency in utilizing Microsoft Office Suite, Google Work Space and Internet for maximum productivity
- Current Driver’s License
- Reliable transportation
Must be able to remain in a stationary position including standing at least 50% of the time
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
MUST present proof of COVID-19 vaccination (if eligible for medical exemption, please communicate directly with BGCMC’s Human Resources team) prior to the start date.
Compliance with all BGCMC COVID-19 policies and procedures.
Educational background in Health and Physical Fitness
Experience as a youth development professional in the Boys & Girls Club Movement
Cultural competence, ability to work with a diverse youth and people;
First Aid & CPR Certification
Bilingual in Spanish and English
Salary begins at $15.08/hour and based upon experience and qualifications. Paid benefits package at Impact Leader II level consisting of accrual of up to 30 hours paid vacation, 30 hours paid sick leave, plus 24 hours of paid California Healthy Workplace Healthy Family sick leave, medical, vision, dental, life and disability insurance, pension and 403(b) plan investment options. Professional development opportunities are available contingent upon funding and approval. This position is classified as non-exempt and as such is eligible for the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
BGCMC is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.